PDA

View Full Version : Does Jean-Luc speak Romulan?

Autistic Spectrum
10-30-2014, 06:39 PM
Rewatching TNG "Unification" (a 2 part episode). In Part 1, surgically altered to look like Romulans, the Captain and Data are enjoying a bowl of brown at a local soup shop when she says they don't sound right.
Direct lines from the script:
SOUP WOMAN: I haven't seen you here before.
DATA: We are here for the day... from the city of Rateg.
SOUP WOMAN: Rateg. I don't think so.
DATA: Why do you say that?
SOUP WOMAN: You don't sound like you're from Rateg.
DATA: It is a misconception that all Rategs speak with a particular inflection. In fact, there are twelve different ⎯
PICARD (interrupting): We come from several kilometers outside the city...
Here's the question
Are we to assume that Jean-Luc is actually speaking Romulan? Or should we just "let it go" and assume it's some "magic" of the Universal Translator?

Autistic Spectrum
10-30-2014, 06:39 PM
cag idk maybe you want to not just lurk but talk about this, star trek stuff, cag, hi cag

Camoron
10-30-2014, 07:27 PM
Rewatching TNG "Unification" (a 2 part episode). In Part 1, surgically altered to look like Romulans, the Captain and Data are enjoying a bowl of brown at a local soup shop when she says they don't sound right.
Direct lines from the script:
SOUP WOMAN: I haven't seen you here before.
DATA: We are here for the day... from the city of Rateg.
SOUP WOMAN: Rateg. I don't think so.
DATA: Why do you say that?
SOUP WOMAN: You don't sound like you're from Rateg.
DATA: It is a misconception that all Rategs speak with a particular inflection. In fact, there are twelve different ⎯
PICARD (interrupting): We come from several kilometers outside the city...
Here's the question
Are we to assume that Jean-Luc is actually speaking Romulan? Or should we just "let it go" and assume it's some "magic" of the Universal Translator?

its the universal translator, :mysterysolved:

Autistic Spectrum
10-30-2014, 07:29 PM
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ie=UTF-8&q=translate

m0nde
10-30-2014, 08:55 PM
fuck this shiat