PDA

View Full Version : Selected Readings, as chosen by Plug Drugs

Plug Drugs
11-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Not much has been written about The Ibogaine Effect as a serious factor in the Presidential Campaign, but toward the end of the Wisconsin primary race -- about a week before the vote -- word leaked out that some of Muskie's top advisors had called in a Brazilian doctor who was said to be treating the candidate with "some kind of strange drug" that nobody in the press corps had ever heard of.

It had been common knowledge for many weeks that Humphrey was using an exotic brand of speed known as Wallot . . . and it had long been whispered that Muskie was into something very heavy, but it was hard to take the talk seriously until I heard about the appearance of a mysterious Brazilian doctor. That was the key.

I immediately recognized The Ibogaine Effect -- from Muskie's tearful breakdown on the flatbed truck in New Hampshire, the delusions and altered thinking that characterized his campaign in Florida, and finally the condition of "total rage" that gripped him in Wisconsin.

There was no doubt about it: The Man from Maine had turned to massive doses of Ibogaine as a last resort. The only remaining question was "when did he start?" But nobody could answer this one, and I was not able to press the candidate himself for an answer because I was permanently barred from the Muskie campaign after that incident on the "Sunshine Special" in Florida . . . and that scene makes far more sense now than it did at the time. Muskie has always taken pride in his ability to deal with hecklers; he has frequently challenged them, calling them up to the stage in front of big crowds and then forcing the poor bastards to debate with him in a blaze of TV lights.

But there was none of that in Florida. When the Boohoo began grabbing at his legs and screaming for more gin, Big Ed went all to pieces . . . which gave rise to speculation. among reporters familiar with his campaign style in '68 and '70, that Muskie was not himself. It was noted, among other things, that he had developed a tendency to roll his eyes wildly during TV interviews, that his thought patterns had become strangely fragmented, and that not even his closest advisors could predict when he might suddenly spiral off into babbling rages, or neocomatose funks.

In restrospect, however, it is easy to see why Muskie fell apart on that caboose platform in the Miami train station. There he was -- far gone in a bad Ibogaine frenzy -- suddenly shoved out in a rainstorm to face a sullen crowd and some kind of snarling lunatic going for his legs while he tried to explain why he was "the only Democrat who can beat Nixon."

It is entirely conceivable -- given the known effects of Ibogaine -- that Muskie's brain was almost paralyzed by hallucinations at the time; that he looked out at that crowd and saw gila monsters instead of people, and that his mind snapped completely when he felt something large and apparently vicious clawing at his legs. We can only speculate on this, because those in a position to know have flatly refused to comment on rumors concerning the Senator's disastrous experiments with Ibogaine. I tried to find the Brazilian doctor on election Bight in Milwaukee, but by the time the polls closed he was long gone. One of the hired bimbos in Milwaukee's Holiday Inn headquarters said a man with fresh welts on his head had been dragged out the side door and put on a bus to Chicago, but we were never able to confirm this. . . .

Excerpted from Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72 (New York: Warner Books, 1972)

juji
11-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Spanish, please

Plug Drugs
11-09-2014, 12:42 PM
hablo espanol poorly..
Yo hablar espanol poorly?
gaaah

Plug Drugs
11-09-2014, 12:45 PM
it's kind of like a... ironic/sarcastic/joke article
ask Desolation about Hunter S Thompson she'd do a better job of explaining gonzo journalism than i would

juji
11-09-2014, 12:57 PM
Stop giving me an order to ask Desolation, it's really pathetic and irresponsibility, wtf is wrong with you?

Tim is trying to learn spanish, he improved the sentences a lot, he showed his text to me via steam, he's younger than you, he had first job before you, he was doing workout in gym while you eat a lot of junk foods and youre obese... Seriously, get over it

juji
11-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Look at your avatar, perhaps it's your destiny of no future.

Plug Drugs
11-09-2014, 01:05 PM
he's also learning spanish right now so hes fresh on it
I took THREE YEARS of spanish in high school elz, three years; during a period of my life where i was getting panic attacks every day and thinking i was dying and had to be on a shitload of clonazepam so i dont remember much

I can understand spoken and written spanish slightly when there's context; I can't write it or speak it

Plug Drugs
11-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Look at your avatar, perhaps it's your destiny of no future.

if i can be a content smiling old man some day i would welcome that destiny

Plug Drugs
11-09-2014, 01:11 PM
if a spanish speaker asked me where the bathroom is or where the green library was, i could probably point them in the right direction

Plug Drugs
11-09-2014, 01:14 PM
6-5UMCMR1MY&autoplay=1

juji
11-09-2014, 01:15 PM
if a spanish speaker asked me where the bathroom is or where the green library was, i could probably point them in the right direction

Universal language is not a language, basically common gestures that you get and you return with common sense

Plug Drugs
11-09-2014, 01:19 PM
that's the best language dude