PDA

View Full Version : IT help needed

Camoron
02-25-2015, 10:41 AM
I setup an access point for a client and connected it to an 8 port switch which is connected to an old netgear router. The access point works but when I connect it it takes the internet on the router's wifi down (hardlines still work, wifi network still up just the internet over wifi doesnt work). The access point is about 100-150 ft away from the switch which is right on top of the router. Why am I losing wifi internet on the router? Is it too many devices for the router to handle?

maks
02-25-2015, 09:46 PM
that is not nearly enough information to diagnose your issue

maks
02-25-2015, 09:49 PM
wifi loses internet, does it lose LAN? is your WAP actually a router? are they trying to use it as a gateway somehow? is it running a DHCP server? has anything changed in the clients routing tables? there's about a thousand questions I can ask but first and foremost post the results of "route print" before and after

Plug Drugs
02-25-2015, 10:21 PM
unplug ot count to ten plug it bacj in and wait for the flashing yelloe lights to bevomd solid greem lights

maks
02-25-2015, 10:53 PM
why don't you go read some wikipedia articles, men are talking

Camoron
02-26-2015, 08:38 AM
The routers wifi loses internet, that is all. The AP is an access point, not a router. Network goes modem > router > switch > AP. It should be pretty simple to connect right? Just plug it inti ghe network. I got the AP working fine but the router in a separate office loses its wifi internet (but hardlines work)

AP is not a DHCP server, router is an old Netgear with factory settings except for SSID and password. AP also has factory settings

Camoron
02-26-2015, 09:26 AM
If you're wondering why I care about the router wifi dropping out its because the APs are for a separate office and they still need the router wifi for their office

maks
02-26-2015, 06:15 PM
So we're clear, the clients connected to the router's wifi can still talk to each other even though they can't get out to the internet? Have you eliminated DNS issues as a possible cause by pinging an internet IP (I use 8.8.8.8)? Post the clients' routing tables, from a machine on the router's wifi, before and after connecting your wap.

Camoron
02-27-2015, 09:52 AM
I wont be able to do that til Monday. If I do that it takes them down and they dont want any unexpected downtime

m0nde
02-27-2015, 12:39 PM
did you do what i told you and work on this at home and get everything up and working since you can't do shit at the client's?
make sure the two aren't overlapping (put one on 3 and put the other one on 12). make sure the repeater is in the right mode extend, whatever it's called mode. make sure it's
what are the IPs and subnets? Did you try hard setting ALL Ips and settings instead of tryint to let them be assigned?

Camoron
02-27-2015, 10:06 PM
i forgot to stop by their office and pick up the fucking access point so i cant work on it at home. fuck