PDA

View Full Version : First Person Shooters on a PC are in every way superior to First Person Shooters on consoles (xbox 360, PS3, etc)

Plug Drugs
12-17-2012, 01:11 PM
reason 1 - Mouse and Keyboard > Controller : Once a person has gotten used to it, the mouse is much more precise for aiming with than a joystick. The joystick on first person shooter games often have sensitivity caps, and you are limited as to how fast you can turn and shoot at a target. With a mouse, if you were good enough, you could almost instantaneously turn with perfect precision to any target and get a headshot -- if you were good enough, and had memorized your mouse well enough.

You also have many more buttons on a keyboard, allowing for many many more controls, menus, interfaces, options, etc..

The only positive aspect I can think of for a controller is the left thumbstick - it is slightly more superior than the WASD layout, but not by much.

reason 2 - stronger communities: the communities of console games are often described as "more social", this simply isn't the case. The popularity of these console game communities is often short lived, and once its dead its dead. People simply play a game for a few months, then get bored and buy a new one.

PC gaming communities however, live on for years and years... The game Warcraft 3 (came out in 2002, I know its not a first person shooter, but just for an example) still has a very active player base and modding community. Counter Strike Source (came out in 2004-2005 I believe) is as alive as ever, and also has a very active modding community.

reason 3 - modding communities: you never get bored with the same old maps and content, or lack of updates on a PC first person shooter. Users are making new maps and game modes all the time - in very creative and innovative ways. And if the game developers of a PC title have abandoned the game after launch with no hope for updates, as long as the game can have player-made mods put into it, then the game can be saved. Think of all the broken console games there have been - especially back before it was possible to update them.

For Counter Strike Source, there are literally thousands of player-made maps (many of them far more entertaining than developer maps) and dozens of different player-created modded game modes suchs as: Zombie mode (with all sorts of variations between servers/maps), deathmatch, "Gun game", "Reverse Gun Game", RPG deathmatch, Surf maps, prison escape, and bunny jumping maps... just to name a few

maks
12-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I can agree with this, I'd go so far as to say there's no real reason to even own a console

Plug Drugs
12-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Also, when it comes to just the history of console and PC titles, the PC wooped consoles' asses starting in the 90s and continuing until the start of the 2010 decade.

Games that could be patched/updated well after release? PC gaming pioneered this. Games with user-customization (profile pictures, avatars, etc)? PC gaming pioneered this. Games with player-made competitive "Clans"? PC gaming pioneered this.

In fact, for the past few years, pretty much any "new awesome innovative thing" you noticed console games starting to do was either inspired by originated entirely from PC gaming.

I remember 2 years ago when console gamers were shitting themselves that they could now "shoot through walls" in console FPS games.. I just laughed, you've been able to shoot through walls for years on many PC first person shooters, it is ancient "Duhhhhh" technology (all it would have taken was a little extra coding that the developers of console games were just too lazy to put in the game) that could have easily been implemented in console first person shooter games for years but never was.

Plug Drugs
12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
typed this out on speed, going to put it on some other sites.. maybe reddit or something

Plug Drugs
12-17-2012, 01:22 PM
never put anything on reddit, but its time i get popular for my tweaker ramblings

Plug Drugs
12-17-2012, 01:22 PM
make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside

maks
12-17-2012, 01:28 PM
You should avoid reddit unless you really enjoy getting irritated by douchy liberals

Plug Drugs
12-17-2012, 01:29 PM
PC gaming in the early 2000s was a very special time and place to be a part of.. No explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant..

There was madness in any direction. At any hour. If not on the IGN boards, then out in your living room on your mom's dinosaur on the AOL chatrooms or on IMDB.. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any realistic or life-goal pursuing sense; we didn’t need that. Our headshotting and micromanagement skills would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. .

Gentleman Doli
12-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Hitler: Im not going to read any of this
Goebbels: But my fuhrer ("Leader") tihs guy is on drugs and a retard
Hitler: Waht/ ? lol [gameing on XBOX 360 geting high score while 5 girls suck his penis] I cant hear u over teh sound of teh slurping

m0nde
12-17-2012, 05:49 PM
the above long-winded analysis may one day end up in my sig

maks
12-17-2012, 05:53 PM
the above long-winded analysis may one day end up in my sig

^ new quote for my sig right there

Lisa Claus
12-17-2012, 06:37 PM
typed this out on speed, going to put it on some other sites.. maybe reddit or somethingpfft lol

YEAH QUICK POST IT EVERYWHERE!

Lisa Claus
12-17-2012, 06:38 PM
make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the insideI love you

lnopia the great
12-17-2012, 06:43 PM
cant play computer games from my couch

maks
12-17-2012, 06:44 PM
cant play computer games from my couch

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/