PDA

View Full Version : my boring godaddy story

m0nde
10-30-2015, 07:43 AM
godaddy called me to see if i was interested in being put on a faster server with some perks to my hosting account. i would have to pay 2 years up front, but would have a huge amount prorated, so after my initgial payment i would be able to cancel back to per year holsting. anyway, i agreed and went through the account set up process. the guy who was reading me his required spiel from his checklist couldn't answer my questions several times - no he wasn't a tech support paki. he sounded american - and i had to explain what a zone file when i was asking what it would mean for the 9 domains i had pointed to my hosting from various clients, all with diff registrars. he then proceeded to tell me that all my databases are all on the same machine as my web hosting which is just straight out false and would all be taken care of in one migration. nota bene: again, i asked him about all the shit i had hosted. all the diff domains, all the assignments through the zone files i'd set up my self and he said, yeah it's all going to be migrated seamlessly. so then he goes through the process and creates a placeholder aaccount so he can put everything in queue to be processed and he suddenly says, oh wow you ahve 9 domains, i thought you onhly had 2 domains. and i coolly explained to him, i have 2 domains that i've reg'd with you guys and the reset are being pointed from diff registrars - i broguht this about about 5 mins ago and he said, godaddy is going to charge you 900 dollars -- L:laugh::laugh::laugh:L, 900 dollars to transfer that to the new account 100 bucks per domain. so i told him, fine, don't transfer it, i'll make backups of all of it and put it back on myself and he said, no you don't understand there are 9 domains and they all have to be set up and i said, guy i just explained to you all this shit about the zone files and all the stuff we'd just been talking about and i said, yeah again, the databases what about them? will all that get migrated and will i have to set up everything again because the fqdns and the ip addresses will be diff and to register the databases properly with the accounts built in, they would have to be manually transfered - now he had said previously that all of it would be done seamlessly but now he said, no if you had ONE database and ONE domain then it was all inclusive, but you ahve all of these databases and 9 domains. so then i knew this guy was a choth and i just said, fine i will deal with it and get back to you if and when i want to transfer.

so, in the end, i'm looking for new hosting and i'm going to find some place like bluehost or dreamhos or whatever that doesn't dick you around charging separately for domain privacy and then charging for this bullshit feature which is free everywhere else in dns management and whatnot

moral of the story, fuck godaddy. the people who work for them are morons, i've dealt with tech people and they are alright, but those in billing and sales actually cause more issues than they solve, trying to upsell when they don't know wtf is going on, etc.

fucking lol, this must have taken him about 30 mins to undo

https://i.gyazo.com/1c432bc6060696c94ea12459aa23e9bf.png

TheLizardWhisperer
10-30-2015, 11:02 AM
I quit godaddy in 2005. You're a fucking idiot.

cag
10-30-2015, 11:31 AM
WWW.GoGORDON.COM
promo code:LisaRAPED@8

stevеyos
10-30-2015, 12:48 PM
I quit godaddy in 2005. You're a fucking idiot.

juji
10-30-2015, 02:36 PM
I have never trusted godaddy to use hosting services.

Im currently using DigitalOcean which is very good vps that I have setup, I bet Steveyos never knows how to setup dedicated server, he has to do with clicks, clicks, clicks and he would say COMMAND, CONSOLE OR BASH is for faggot nerds

juji
10-30-2015, 02:37 PM
That's why steveyos is homeless

Wendy <3
10-30-2015, 02:44 PM
He's homeless because he smelled so bad his mom made him away forever

juji
10-30-2015, 03:01 PM
He's homeless because he smelled so bad his mom made him away forever

True his beard may contain fragments of feces

Plug Drugs
10-30-2015, 03:43 PM
m0nde its probably not even a godaddy employee you spoke to, 99% of companies hire call centers to handle their shit, he was reading a script on a screen and had a 6 hour training class on the product he was selling

Plug Drugs
10-30-2015, 03:50 PM
https://i.gyazo.com/1c432bc6060696c94ea12459aa23e9bf.png

if he put your order through and then cancelled it without you finalizing the amount he was charging you, he can get busted for slamming. They do it to get points for a sale they didn't actually make, basically stealing from the client company. Send an email to godaddy so he loses his job

Plug Drugs
10-30-2015, 03:51 PM
if hes done it more than once he'll get fired right away
i think it's treated the same legally as embezzlement

Plug Drugs
10-30-2015, 04:03 PM
call center agents make commission points for sales but don't lose points for cancelling/refunding a sale/service, so if he sells you something then immediately refunds it, he still gets points for commission, which, depending on what he's selling, could be $20+ per caller depending on the point value of the particular program he's running

m0nde
10-30-2015, 06:41 PM
I quit godaddy in 2005. You're a fucking idiot.i've had the account since about 2006 when i quit bluehost

maks
10-30-2015, 07:46 PM
plug drugs, expert on everything, writes 9 posts describing how things work inside of godaddy despite never having worked there or even registered a domain there

Plug Drugs
10-30-2015, 08:10 PM
zzz

m0nde
10-30-2015, 09:49 PM
plug drugs, expert on everything, writes 9 posts describing how things work inside of godaddy despite never having worked there or even registered a domain theredunning-kruger full steam

juji
10-30-2015, 09:53 PM
zzz

Never take this influence from dota 2, this is worst retard influence ever compared to the people are planking and girls are doing duckface in selfies

m0nde
10-30-2015, 10:09 PM
dude, your influences, get rid of them

maks
10-30-2015, 10:16 PM
dunning-kruger full steam

Page protected with pending changes level 1
Dunning–Kruger effect
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Dunning-Kruger)
Changes must be reviewed before being displayed on this page.show/hide details
Psychology
The Greek letter 'psi', a symbol for psychology
Outline History Subfields
Basic types
Abnormal Biological Cognitive Comparative Cross-cultural Cultural Differential Developmental Evolutionary Experimental Mathematical Neuropsychology Personality Positive Quantitative Social
Applied psychology
Applied behavior analysis Clinical Community Consumer Counseling Educational Environmental Ergonomics Forensic Health Humanistic Industrial and organizational Interpretive Legal Medical Military Music Occupational health Political Religion School Sport Traffic
Lists
Disciplines Organizations Psychologists Psychotherapies Publications Research methods Theories Timeline Topics
Portal icon Psychology portal
v t e
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein relatively unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability to be much higher than is accurate. Dunning and Kruger attributed the bias to the metacognitive inability of the unskilled to recognize their own ineptitude and evaluate their own ability accurately. Their research also suggests that conversely, highly skilled individuals may underestimate their relative competence, erroneously assuming that tasks that are easy for them also are easy for others.[1] The bias was first experimentally observed by David Dunning and Justin Kruger of Cornell University in 1999.
Dunning and Kruger have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in the unskilled, and external misperception in the skilled: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[1]
Contents [hide]
1 Original study
2 Supporting studies
3 Historical antecedents
4 Award
5 See also
6 References
7 Further reading
Original study[edit]
The phenomenon was first tested in a series of experiments during 1999 by David Dunning and Justin Kruger of the department of psychology at Cornell University.[1][2] The study was inspired by the case of McArthur Wheeler, a man who robbed two banks after covering his face with lemon juice in the mistaken belief that, because lemon juice is usable as invisible ink, it would prevent his face from being recorded on surveillance cameras.[3] The authors noted that earlier studies suggested that ignorance of standards of performance lies behind a great deal of incorrect self-assessment of competence. This pattern was seen in studies of skills as diverse as reading comprehension, operating a motor vehicle, and playing games such as chess or tennis.
Dunning and Kruger proposed that, for a given skill, incompetent people will:[4]
fail to recognize their own lack of skill
fail to recognize genuine skill in others
fail to recognize the extent of their inadequacy
recognize and acknowledge their own lack of skill, after they are exposed to training for that skill
Dunning has since drawn an analogy – "the anosognosia of everyday life"[5][6] – with a condition in which a person who suffers a physical disability because of brain injury seems unaware of, or denies the existence of, the disability, even for dramatic impairments such as blindness or paralysis: "If you're incompetent, you can’t know you’re incompetent.… [T]he skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly the skills you need to recognize what a right answer is."[5]
Supporting studies[edit]
Dunning and Kruger set out to test these hypotheses on Cornell undergraduates in psychology courses. In a series of studies, they examined subject self-assessment of logical reasoning skills, grammatical skills, and humor. After being shown their test scores, the subjects were asked to estimate their own rank. The competent group estimated their rank accurately, while the incompetent group overestimated theirs. As Dunning and Kruger noted:
Across four studies, the authors found that participants scoring in the bottom quartile on tests of humor, grammar, and logic grossly overestimated their test performance and ability. Although test scores put them in the 12th percentile, they estimated themselves to be in the 62nd.[1]
Meanwhile, subjects with true ability tended to underestimate their relative competence. Roughly, participants who found tasks to be easy, erroneously presumed to some extent, that the tasks also must be easy for others.[1]
A follow-up study, reported in the same paper, suggests that grossly incompetent students improved their ability to estimate their rank after minimal tutoring in the skills they had previously lacked, regardless of the negligible improvement gained in skills.[1]
In 2003, Dunning and Joyce Ehrlinger, also of Cornell University, published a study that detailed a shift in people's views of themselves when influenced by external cues. Participants in the study, Cornell University undergraduates, were given tests of their knowledge of geography. Some of the tests were intended to affect their self-views positively, some negatively. They were then asked to rate their performance. Those given the positive tests reported significantly better performance than those given the negative.[7]
Daniel Ames and Lara Kammrath extended this work to sensitivity to others and subject perception of how sensitive they were.[8]
Research conducted by Burson et al. (2006) set out to test one of the core hypotheses put forth by Kruger and Muller in their paper "Unskilled, unaware, or both? The better-than-average heuristic and statistical regression predict errors in estimates of own performance", "that people at all performance levels are equally poor at estimating their relative performance".[9] To test this hypothesis, the authors investigated three different studies, which all manipulated the "perceived difficulty of the tasks and hence participants’ beliefs about their relative standing".[9] The authors found that when researchers presented subjects with moderately difficult tasks, the best and the worst performers varied little in their ability to accurately predict their performance. Additionally, they found that with more difficult tasks, the best performers were less accurate in predicting their performance than the worst performers. The authors concluded that these findings suggest that "judges at all skill levels are subject to similar degrees of error".[9]
Ehrlinger et al. (2008) made an attempt to test alternative explanations, but came to conclusions that were qualitatively similar to the original work. The paper concludes that the root cause is that, in contrast to high performers, "poor performers do not learn from feedback suggesting a need to improve".[10]
Studies on the Dunning–Kruger effect tend to focus on American test subjects. A number of studies on East Asian subjects suggest that different social forces are at play in different cultures. For example East Asians tend to underestimate their abilities and see underachievement as a chance to improve themselves and to get along with others.[11]
Historical antecedents[edit]
Although the Dunning–Kruger effect was formulated in 1999, Dunning and Kruger have noted earlier observations along similar lines by philosophers and scientists, including Confucius ("Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance"),[2] Bertrand Russell ("One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"),[10] and Charles Darwin, whom they quoted in their original paper ("Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge").[1]
Geraint Fuller, commenting on the paper, noted that Shakespeare expressed a similar observation in As You Like It ("The Foole doth thinke he is wise, but the wiseman knowes himselfe to be a Foole" (V.i)).[12]
Award[edit]
Dunning and Kruger were awarded the 2000 satirical Ig Nobel Prize in psychology "for their modest report, 'Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments'".[13]
See also[edit]
Curse of knowledge
Four stages of competence
Hanlon's razor
Impostor syndrome
Not even wrong
Overconfidence effect
Self-efficacy
Self-serving bias
Superiority complex
References[edit]
^ Jump up to: a b c d e f g Kruger, Justin; Dunning, David (1999). "Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to Inflated Self-Assessments". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 77 (6): 1121–34. doi:10.1037/0022-3514.77.6.1121. PMID 10626367. CiteSeerX: 10.1.1.64.2655.
^ Jump up to: a b Dunning, David; Johnson, Kerri; Ehrlinger, Joyce; Kruger, Justin (2003). "Why people fail to recognize their own incompetence" (PDF). Current Directions in Psychological Science 12 (3): 83–87. doi:10.1111/1467-8721.01235. Retrieved 29 December 2012.
Jump up ^ "Why Losers Have Delusions of Grandeur". New York Post. 23 May 2010. Retrieved 19 March 2014.
Jump up ^ Lee, Chris (2012-05-25). "Revisiting why incompetents think they’re awesome". Arstechnica.com. p. 3. Retrieved 2014-01-11.
^ Jump up to: a b Morris, Errol (20 June 2010). "The Anosognosic's Dilemma: Something's Wrong but You'll Never Know What It Is (Part 1)". New York Times. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
Jump up ^ Dunning, David (2005). Self-Insight: Roadblocks and Detours on the Path to Knowing Thyself (Essays in Social Psychology). Psychology Press. pp. 14–15. ISBN 1-84169-074-0.
Jump up ^ Ehrlinger, Joyce; Dunning, David (January 2003). "How Chronic Self-Views Influence (and Potentially Mislead) Estimates of Performance". Journal of Personality and Social Psychology (American Psychological Association) 84 (1): 5–17. doi:10.1037/0022-3514.84.1.5. PMID 12518967.
Jump up ^ Ames, Daniel R.; Kammrath, Lara K. (September 2004). "Mind-Reading and Metacognition: Narcissism, not Actual Competence, Predicts Self-Estimated Ability" (PDF). Journal of Nonverbal Behavior 28 (3): 187–209. doi:10.1023/B:JONB.0000039649.20015.0e. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
^ Jump up to: a b c Burson, K.; Larrick, R.; Klayman, J. (2006). "Skilled or unskilled, but still unaware of it: how perceptions of difficulty drive miscalibration in relative comparisons" (PDF). Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 90 (1): 5. doi:10.1037/0022-3514.90.1.60. PMID 16448310. hdl:2027.42/39168.
^ Jump up to: a b Ehrlinger, Joyce; Johnson, Kerri; Banner, Matthew; Dunning, David; Kruger, Justin (2008). "Why the unskilled are unaware: Further explorations of (absent) self-insight among the incompetent" (PDF). Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 105 (1): 98–121. doi:10.1016/j.obhdp.2007.05.002. PMC 2702783. PMID 19568317.
Jump up ^ DeAngelis, Tori (Feb 2003). "Why we overestimate our competence". Monitor on Psychology (American Psychological Association) 34 (2): 60. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
Jump up ^ Fuller, Geraint (2011). "Ignorant of ignorance?". Practical Neurology 11 (6): 365. doi:10.1136/practneurol-2011-000117. PMID 22100949.
Jump up ^ "Ig Nobel Past Winners". Retrieved 7 March 2011.
Further reading[edit]
Dunning, David (27 October 2014). "We Are All Confident Idiots". Pacific Standard (Miller-McCune Center for Research, Media, and Public Policy). Retrieved 28 October 2014. A popular commentary by David Dunning, with links to other articles, about the research program on how human beings evaluate their own knowledge and competence.
Categories: Social science methodologySocial psychologyCognitive biasesIncompetence
Navigation menu
Create accountNot logged inTalkContributionsLog inArticleTalkReadEditView history

Main page
Contents
Featured content
Current events
Random article
Donate to Wikipedia
Wikipedia store
Interaction
Help
About Wikipedia
Community portal
Recent changes
Contact page
Tools
What links here
Related changes
Upload file
Special pages
Permanent link
Page information
Wikidata item
Cite this page
Print/export
Create a book
Download as PDF
Printable version
Languages
Afrikaans
العربية
Български
Brezhoneg
Català
Čeština
Dansk
Deutsch
Eesti
Español
فارسی
Français
한국어
Hrvatski
Bahasa Indonesia
Italiano
עברית
ქართული
Magyar
Nederlands
日本語
Norsk bokmål
Oʻzbekcha/ўзбекча
Polski
Português
Română
Русский
Simple English
Slovenčina
Slovenščina
Српски / srpski
Suomi
Svenska
தமிழ்
Türkçe
Українська
中文
Edit links
This page was last modified on 21 October 2015, at 06:51.
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a non-profit organization.
Privacy policyAbout WikipediaDisclaimersContact WikipediaDevelopersMobile viewWikimedia Foundation Powered by MediaWiki

maks
10-30-2015, 10:21 PM
I have lots of strong opinions I copied verbatim - err I mean studied extensively from wikipedia, the huffington post and the daily show

maks
10-30-2015, 10:24 PM
I'm the type of boring fartknocker who brags about reading math books for fun, which basically means I automatically know everything about every subject, especially the subjects I know nothing about. thanks to the power of the internet I can read the wikipedia article about a given subject and immediately form lots of strong opinions about it which I will talk about at length to a bunch of people who couldn't give even half a fuck

Camoron
10-30-2015, 11:23 PM
x - 9 = (80 - 20) solve for X plugdurgs

TheLizardWhisperer
10-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Wow brutal plug drugs' disses up in here

Plug Drugs
10-31-2015, 12:14 AM
so much hate, i'm sorry i was born smarter than everybody i know it isn't fair :smug: but dont take it up with me, take it up with jesus

juji
10-31-2015, 12:38 AM
x - 9 = (80 - 20) solve for X plugdurgs

x=69

maks
10-31-2015, 08:59 AM
it's a shame that such a legit smart guy (not a pseudointellectual who quotes wikipedia all the time) is unemployed living with his grandparents and stealing their medicine for drug money

juji
10-31-2015, 10:25 AM
it's a shame that such a legit smart guy (not a pseudointellectual who quotes wikipedia all the time) is unemployed living with his grandparents and stealing their medicine for drug money

Plug drugs is considered as pseudo-smart, Im waiting to camoron's answer about math answer how plug drugs ignored it, even if is wrong or needs to be corrected.

maks
10-31-2015, 02:40 PM
Plug drugs is considered as pseudo-smart, Im waiting to camoron's answer about math answer how plug drugs ignored it, even if is wrong or needs to be corrected.

plug drugs can't answer actual math problems because the answer isn't on wikipedia

Wendy <3
10-31-2015, 02:49 PM
Idk why he can't just die and save his grandparents the money they're losing to supporting some worthless drug addict

maks
10-31-2015, 02:51 PM
because that would be noble and selfless, and plug drugs is the world's biggest piece of shit

urkles girlfriend
10-31-2015, 04:42 PM
Plug Drugs grandparents have done so much for him and he shits all over them.

stevеyos
10-31-2015, 05:42 PM
you're all just jealous of plug drugs simple as that

maks
10-31-2015, 06:06 PM

yeah they feed him and give him a place to sleep and all he does it steal their medicine and attempt suicide on tinychat in their sewing room

Wendy <3
10-31-2015, 07:00 PM
Attempting suicide and not completing the task is the most cowardly act a person can do

maks
10-31-2015, 07:05 PM
yeah how awesome would it be if he had died

m0nde
10-31-2015, 09:00 PM
Yeah I see these people on here talking about how they hate their mother, grandma, etc when they've used them as a safety net their whole lives and never attempted work. It confirms what I believe about tough love.

Wendy <3
10-31-2015, 09:45 PM
They won't let him meet at the tip

Plug Drugs
11-01-2015, 01:29 AM
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh when have i ever complained about my grandparents i love my grandparents

Plug Drugs
11-01-2015, 01:29 AM
i dont live with my grandparents anymore either i have my own apartment

Plug Drugs
11-01-2015, 01:32 AM
uhhh thats like retard level algebra, how about this: find the slope of the tangent line at x=7.5 on curve y=6x^3

Plug Drugs
11-01-2015, 01:33 AM
awww none of you tards took calc 1 even, i'm sorry for you

Plug Drugs
11-01-2015, 01:33 AM
i taught myself calculus by the way :smug:

m0nde
11-01-2015, 01:36 AM
solve this one without using wolfram mathematica: how many days of work does it take to make your mortgage payment? it's cheating if you get welfare.

stevеyos
11-01-2015, 02:38 AM
They won't let him meet at the tip

Wendy <3
11-01-2015, 04:30 AM
Gonna keel myself if wisa won't wuv me

urkles girlfriend
11-01-2015, 06:32 AM
Gonna keel myself if wisa won't wuv me

You have really odd hours. Do you stay up at night and sleep during day

zlister
11-01-2015, 07:06 AM
He must wake up early to make his awesome mother breakfast before chopping firewood

maks
11-01-2015, 08:25 AM
here's a math question for you, how many of your grandma's pills do you have to steal and sell in order to get enough oxy to kill yourself on tinychat? solve for the tip

stevеyos
11-01-2015, 09:40 AM
chop wood

maks
12-19-2019, 05:52 PM
Never take this influence from dota 2, this is worst retard influence ever compared to the people are planking and girls are doing duckface in selfies

m0nde
12-19-2019, 05:53 PM

this is pretty good, it needs to be added to elz_quotes.js