PDA

View Full Version : BIOS checksum error on an old computer might be just a dead battery for it right?

timmy
01-19-2013, 03:31 PM
if it has never been modified at all what else could it be?

Camoron
01-19-2013, 03:37 PM
i dont think its a CMOS battery because the time and date would be cleared

Camoron
01-19-2013, 03:38 PM
why ar eyou posting about this here anyways lol

i will just see if the problem persists and try updating my BIOS, after that I may need to RMA the motherboard or something

maks
01-19-2013, 03:43 PM
Could be a dead battery I guess. Why are you asking this instead of verifying that the battery is dead?

maks
01-19-2013, 03:45 PM
why ar eyou posting about this here anyways lol

pretty much. a good troubleshooter would have immediately checked for a dead battery to confirm or deny his suspicion.

Camoron
01-19-2013, 03:50 PM
its my computer that is having problems, i never suspected the CMOS battery tim just suggested it but i am not having time changes or anything

maks
01-19-2013, 03:54 PM
as a good troubleshooter/pragmatist I say verify all the shit in bios is still how you want it, hit save, and if it doesn't cause problems consider it a fluke and ignore it. thread complete, that will be $33.

Camoron
01-19-2013, 03:56 PM
basically my PC goes to sleep after a certian length of time, I got up this morniong and tried to click ti on and it didn't come on. Tried power button, nothing. At first I thought perhaps the PSU was dead, but I observed that my exterrnal hard drive light was blinking so it was still drawing power, but the system would not power on. Unplugged it and waited then plugged it back in and then hit the power button and it started up and said there was a BIOS checksum error and it was restoring the BIOS backup. then it booted into Windows as normally and even restored all of my shit I had open (which would have to mean it hibernated and not slept since if it was asleep all of the system memory would have been stored in RAM and lost when I unplugged the machine, therefore I assume it must have written it to the hard drive). The BIOS checksum error made me think it was probably not a problem with the power supply. I went to the store for a while and came back and it had again powered down and the same thing had to be done to power it up and another BIOS checksum error. I turned off automatic sleep mode and tried putting it to sleep manually and it powered back up fine. I even restarted it and it worked fine. It has not had any issues since then (I also ran some virus scanning and performed a few important Windows updates) but if persists I suppose my next step will be to update the BIOS and beyond there, try flashing it.. maybe need to RMA the whole motherboard.

It's not an old motherboard. I just started using it in December and this is the first time I've had any issues.

maks
01-19-2013, 04:16 PM
There are different 'modes' of sleep, and settings for them, probably the ones in the BIOS got whacked. Check out the ACPI settings, it's going to be different on every motherboard so I can't tell you exactly what to expect, but set them in a way that appears to make sense, then run windows and shut it down instead of hibernate so it can boot for real and figure out that something has changed. then test it. if that doesn't work, install updated motherboard drivers. If that doesn't work, update the BIOS (you never want to do this as a first step because you risk bricking the whole board or causing exactly the sort of fluky windows problems you're experiencing).

Camoron
01-19-2013, 04:23 PM
I always assumed the standard Windows sleep was just a regular old sleep, storing system memory in RAM and runs on very low power for quick retrieval when you start it back up, unlike hibernation which writes it to the disk so tat no power is required, but which also takes longer to retrieve. Perhaps Windows is using a hybrid sleep mode and doing both; sleep for short periods, hibernate if it goes on longer? Not sure but it must have written it to the disk or it would have been lost. I will look into my BIOS settings. I am not sure why they would have changed and I would have thought that restoring the BIOS backup the first time would have fixed anything that may have been an issue but apparently not. thanks

maks
01-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Perhaps Windows is using a hybrid sleep mode and doing both; sleep for short periods, hibernate if it goes on longer?

If you haven't changed then yes that's exactly what it's doing. You need to tell your bios when and how it's supposed to wake up.

Gentleman Doli
01-19-2013, 05:08 PM
YTMNSFW: The one stop Shop for all yoaure computer needs

syncan aka ken post jr
01-19-2013, 05:29 PM
tim i want you to open the computer and check for chickens cause this sounds like a classic case of chicken errors

timmy
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
if theres chickens in my computer ill happily let your kids adopt them as pets. you do let your kids have pets, right?

juji
01-19-2013, 05:44 PM
wow barry's stupid

timmy
01-19-2013, 05:45 PM
thanks elz, ill airmail you a can of beans and +rep you

juji
01-19-2013, 05:48 PM
In 90's i've noticed all dates are reset to default (constant) in the devices due to dead battery, it applies to mobos.

timmy
01-19-2013, 05:52 PM
its not even my problem cam just started spamming me on steam so i made a quick thread while playing vidya so he would redirect his harassment here.
thanks though elz, youre a real pal :brush:

m0nde
01-19-2013, 06:23 PM
lol
tl;dr
etc

Lexi Persimmons
01-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Corrupted.

fanfare
01-20-2013, 02:07 AM
bios checksum error.. hmm make sure your hd is set to Slave, not Master. (bdoop ch!)

Camoron
01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
wow

jon
01-20-2013, 11:59 AM
get your multimeter out and switch it to DC amps and put the probes in the right sockets

then put one lead on the earth/ground contact in an unused wall socket, and the other lead on the positive terminal of the CMOS battery

wait for a beep

steveyos
04-27-2018, 08:17 AM
friendly reminder I'm the best computer builder

steveyos
04-27-2018, 08:18 AM
tim i want you to open the computer and check for chickens

if dp knew when to alt s this woulda been his post just a tip either way fucking hilarious