PDA

View Full Version : is it worth getting an external hd with a fire wire?

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 10:54 AM
would it help uploading speeds a lot or not very much? any advice would be much appreciated. :dnlis:

maks
03-20-2013, 11:02 AM
USB 3 and e-sata are faster and more common so no

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 11:08 AM
im going for optimal stuff what do you think i should do

maks
03-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Firewire 800 - 3.2 Gb/s
USB 3.0 - 5Gb/s
SATA 3 - 6Gb/s

That's small 'b' so gigabit not gigabyte. For the (mega/giga)byte per second divide those numbers by 8

maks
03-20-2013, 11:15 AM
Also that's the maximum data transfer speed of the bus, reading from a hard drive you probably won't notice the difference between USB 3 and e-sata

Also if the drive you get is sata 1 or 2 it will be much slower, with USB 3 you know what you're getting

Summary: Get usb 3.0 if you have the ports for it, e-sata if you don't

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 11:56 AM
wtf a 26 min video takes 3 hours to upload/process, but a 37 min video looks like its going to take 8 hours... :compbash:

maks
03-20-2013, 12:04 PM
different format maybe? for example avi's are compressed they'll have a much smaller file size than an mpg or something

maks
03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
length doesn't matter only size

rubycalaber
03-20-2013, 12:07 PM
length doesn't matter only size

thats what she said XD

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
:hang:

maks
03-20-2013, 12:13 PM
thats what she said XD

mine has a slight curve (nowhere near as extreme as barry's) which makes it feel thicker than it actually is, it's worked out well for me

maks
03-20-2013, 12:15 PM
also rootbeer I think I misunderstood your original question, a new bus like USB 3.0 would drastically improve speeds from the computer to the drive and back but if you're uploading to the internet then your ISP is the bottleneck and you'll see little or no improvement

maks
03-20-2013, 12:16 PM
if I were you I'd drop the image quality and resolution and save it as some compressed format like avi because youtube is going to shit on the quality anyway why spend all that time uploading 1080p to end up with a 640x480 video

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
also rootbeer I think I misunderstood your original question, a new bus like USB 3.0 would drastically improve speeds from the computer to the drive and back but if you're uploading to the internet then your ISP is the bottleneck and you'll see little or no improvement

The problem is that editing/processing/uploading takes so much processing power on the pc I felt like if I upload the files from an external drive it would speed things up. Also I am a computer noob so maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I do know it would be faster to save files from fraps to an external as I'm recording.

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 12:25 PM
also i have the best internet possible for where i live, so that cant be upgraded anymore

maks
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
The problem is that editing/processing/uploading takes so much processing power on the pc I felt like if I upload the files from an external drive it would speed things up.

Editing/processing is done in memory and probably wouldn't be affected at all after the video has been loaded. How much RAM do you have?

Also I am a computer noob so maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I do know it would be faster to save files from fraps to an external as I'm recording.

That depends a lot on the speed of the external drive. If you're on USB 2.0 right now you're probably slowing it down by going to an external. If you were on USB 3.0, then it's (about) as fast as your internal hard drive and fraps will not be lagging up the game stuff that's getting read from your C: drive, so yes it would be faster to record onto the external in that case.

maks
03-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Download this http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.63-setup-en.exe

Run it, take screenshots of the CPU and memory tabs and post them itt.

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/li5mN0J.png
this is while saving a video btw

rubycalaber
03-20-2013, 01:14 PM
mine has a slight curve (nowhere near as extreme as barry's) which makes it feel thicker than it actually is, it's worked out well for me

my penis becomes very thick about two thirds up like a dogs knot where the head is actually smaller than it

when I finally fuck my sister we'll need a lot of lube

rubycalaber
03-20-2013, 01:14 PM
also sometimes when my penis gets really hard the veins become very hard and stick out and it honestly feels like there's metal wire under the skin, probably a bug implanted by the secret service

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 01:25 PM

With out a standalone GPU (video card) you are wasting your time converting videos, on-board graphics suck. Instead of messing with external drives and firewire (Steve Jobs 'reach around')add a second 7200 rpm internal drive.

your CPU is a budget price driven component, a Yugo

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 01:28 PM
also sometimes when my penis gets really hard the veins become very hard and stick out and it honestly feels like there's metal wire under the skin, probably a bug implanted by the secret service

aka "blue-veiner"

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 01:33 PM
With out a standalone GPU (video card) you are wasting your time converting videos, on-board graphics suck. Instead of messing with external drives and firewire (Steve Jobs 'reach around')add a second 7200 rpm internal drive.

your CPU is a budget price driven component, a Yugo
so would you get another hard drive or a new video card?

rubycalaber
03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
I have 7 external harddrives because I cant bring myself to delete the useless garbage I save

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 02:09 PM

GPU first and additional HDD second,you must try to define a budget. As you progress up the up ladder of GPU's your power supply becomes a factor and the size and cooling of your case become important.

GPU's consume power and this end up converted into heat inside your case, if you are forced into buying a new power supply to feed the additional parts your budget may take a turn for the worse leaving you wishing you simply started from scratch building a new pc.

OEM power supplies meet specs of the factory build and don't have a lot of overhead for high spec parts. Some GPU's require 2 power leads to feed them, adding another HDD and couple fans to keep the air flowing in a cramped case and you might get in over your initial cost effective upgrade.

So first look at your power supply and see what it is and if it has the the ability to keep pace with your plan.

GPU's are always on sale, the hard part is selecting what one to buy for your needs and budget. Check newegg and tigerdirect for email notifications of their daily sales. This is where you will find the best offers and values for GPU's and HDD's.

one of the best sites to read is Tomshardware.com to educate yourself on what the relative value and hierarchy of GPU's is at in the current market.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

You don't need to reach way up the chart to surpass onboard graphics, onboard graphics basically suck beyond light gaming.

read read read, then come back and speak with maks before spending a dime

HDD's are typically on sale $70-80 for a western digital 1gb 7200rpm caviar black - stay away from the power saving green versions.

Tigerdirect offers a lot of DIY bundles which may convince you instead save your money a bit longer and build a new PC with aims and goals directed towards video editing.

You are fortunate that you have maks here and he is an assett you should not overlook or waste

tomshardware.com
maximumpc.com

sites that offer suggested build lists for different applications and budgets

it's not as simple as reading the sunday sales flyers from BestBuy to guide your wallet

Gentleman Doli
03-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Im not readeing any of taht you fucken retard lmao.

Buy an alien ware. :dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis:

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 02:20 PM
GPU first and additional HDD second,you must try to define a budget. As you progress up the up ladder of GPU's your power supply becomes a factor and the size and cooling of your case become important.

GPU's consume power and this end up converted into heat inside your case, if you are forced into buying a new power supply to feed the additional parts your budget may take a turn for the worse leaving you wishing you simply started from scratch building a new pc.

OEM power supplies meet specs of the factory build and don't have a lot of overhead for high spec parts. Some GPU's require 2 power leads to feed them, adding another HDD and couple fans to keep the air flowing in a cramped case and you might get in over your initial cost effective upgrade.

So first look at your power supply and see what it is and if it has the the ability to keep pace with your plan.

GPU's are always on sale, the hard part is selecting what one to buy for your needs and budget. Check newegg and tigerdirect for email notifications of their daily sales. This is where you will find the best offers and values for GPU's and HDD's.

one of the best sites to read is Tomshardware.com to educate yourself on what the relative value and hierarchy of GPU's is at in the current market.

You don't need to reach way up the chart to surpass onboard graphics, onboard graphics basically suck beyond light gaming.

HDD's are typically on sale $70-80 for a western digital 1gb 7200rpm caviar black - stay away from the power saving green versions.

Tigerdirect offers a lot of DIY bundles which may convince you instead save your money a bit longer and build a new PC with aims and goals directed towards video editing.

You are fortunate that you have maks here and he is an assett you should not overlook or waste

tomshardware.com
maximumpc.com

it's not as simple as reading the sunday sales flyers from BestBuy to guide your wallet

thanks for the in depth answer. well id imagine i dont need to worry about cooling or power suply if all i add is a new video card and hard drive? i realize there is a kind of scaling in pc building, im not trying to re invent the wheel or anything just record some gaming lol.

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 02:20 PM

Buy an alien ware. :dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis::dnlis:

ruby option

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 02:25 PM

don't, go play your minecrap and stick with your console crap

Lexi Persimmons
03-20-2013, 02:33 PM

tomshardware.com
maximumpc.com

did you learn all that working at Arby's?

Gentleman Doli
03-20-2013, 03:10 PM
don't, go play your minecrap and stick with your console crap

Its called Call ofDuty Modern Warfare 3 and it represents teh gratest minds of our generation. That fuckking sick singel player storey... cordis die dam its jsut like taht thin i saw on face book,

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Its called Call ofDuty Modern Warfare 3 and it represents teh gratest minds of our generation. That fuckking sick singel player storey... cordis die dam its jsut like taht thin i saw on face book,

ARMA, ARMA2, ARMA3 or gtfo

maks
03-20-2013, 03:17 PM

The CPU is essentially a bargain chip, that's your bottleneck. you'd be much better off with a Phenom or an FX and can build a barebones kit based on one of those on Tigerdirect for under $300. What uclacardfan said about the video card is incorrect, you are processing video not rendering it so the GPU is irrelevant.

maks
03-20-2013, 03:18 PM

I would replace the CPU. It's not going to make your uploads go any faster, but converting between formats, etc will work much better.

maks
03-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Also make sure you're running a 64 bit Win 7. Check if you have both "c:\program files" and "c:\program files (x86)" If you do it's 64 bit if not you're only using half your RAM

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 03:23 PM
The CPU is essentially a bargain chip, that's your bottleneck. you'd be much better off with a Phenom or an FX and can build a barebones kit based on one of those on Tigerdirect for under $300. What uclacardfan said about the video card is incorrect, you are processing video not rendering it so the GPU is irrelevant.

so you would buy a new computer instead of upgrading this one?

maks
03-20-2013, 03:38 PM
so you would buy a new computer instead of upgrading this one?

Assuming your motherboard will support a better CPU, you can spend

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7791351&CatId=332 $250 for a complete system

or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1724262&CatId=4432 $99 for the same chip by itself

For me it's worth it because of all the other crap in the package. For instance the barebones kit is running 1600Mhz RAM, according to cpuid yours is running 600Mhz, and that makes a HUGE difference.

maks
03-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Also since you'd be going from AMD to AMD you can (probably) just pop your old hard drive in there and let Windows pick up all the new drivers and you wouldn't even have to reinstall or anything

juji
03-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Heh i think maks and cardfan posts are out of scope they are telling you to buy new hardwares, i have some questions about video editing and upload, do you have video editing software?

Gentleman Doli
03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
ARMA, ARMA2, ARMA3 or gtfo

Hello. I am also autistic

Gentleman Doli
03-20-2013, 03:51 PM
*smriks very wide* Ye,s, I do play the hiking simulator game and I fckng love it. Its so much fun to press th walk button for fifty minutes and then get shot at and die imediately and tehn watch other ppl walk around. Its realims

juji
03-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Try miro converter or freemake video converter, you should convert to dvix or webm it makes very small size videos, it would help you upload speed, not needed to buy hardwares because they are stupid.

Gentleman Doli
03-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Try miro converter or freemake video converter, you should convert to dvix or webm it makes very small size videos, it would help you upload speed, not needed to buy hardwares because they are stupid.

{gets very serious} Computers.

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Heh i think maks and cardfan posts are out of scope they are telling you to buy new hardwares, i have some questions about video editing and upload, do you have video editing software?

maks I was trying to keep it cheap, buying a new cpu for a budget oem build is a waste is money. A gpu, hdd and cpu purchased separately will turn into a wasted cash pit. At some point he must decide where to spend his money. A new tiger diy kit will bring him into present day hardware. Add an oem version of Win7 64 to a gpu, hdd and cpu you may as well build new from a Tiger diy kit. Tigers bundles are a good value.

Then it becomes a new thread and if rootbeer is comfortable applying TIM paste

The question then becomes where do you draw the line and remain cost effective.

This is why the high end i7 intel cpu's own at video editing while their lower tier offers the better bang for buck when building a gaming pc.

http://www.videoguys.com/Blog/K/DIY/Videoguys+DIY+X+Ivy+Bridge+Budget+Build+++First+Look/0x273f04872166b6ea992887cee0d0ceac.aspx

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 04:05 PM

sorry, i forgets this forum is only about google pi searches and lisa spam

forgives my betrayal

maks
03-20-2013, 04:06 PM
maks I was trying to keep it cheap, buying a new cpu for a budget oem build is a waste is money. A gpu, hdd and cpu purchased separately will turn into a wasted cash pit. At some point he must decide where to spend his money. A new tiger diy kit will bring him into present day hardware. Add an oem version of Win7 64 to a gpu, hdd and cpu you may as well build new from a Tiger diy kit. Tigers bundles are a good value.

Then it becomes a new thread and if rootbeer is comfortable applying TIM paste

The question then becomes where do you draw the line and remain cost effective.

This is why the high end i7 intel cpu's own at video editing while their lower tier offers the better bang for buck when building a gaming pc.

http://www.videoguys.com/Blog/K/DIY/Videoguys+DIY+X+Ivy+Bridge+Budget+Build+++First+Look/0x273f04872166b6ea992887cee0d0ceac.aspx

I agree with almost all of that, in fact I went on to recommend a tigerdirect barebones kit. I don't even think he'd need to buy a new copy of Windows, just call their 800 number and have his current one re-activated (assuming it's not using a Dell/HP/whatever bulk key)

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 04:07 PM

I dont need to buy new hardware, but once you are dedicated to something you want good equipment. I will probably buy a new hd or an external idk.
the only video editing software i use is windows movie maker for now...

maks
03-20-2013, 04:07 PM

That's stupid, using a different software product isn't going to help if he doesn't have the horsepower to run it. He's running an A6, that's essentially AMD's celeron.

juji
03-20-2013, 04:08 PM
you dont know anything about video editing practices, however mac pro is the best for video editing and processing after all.

maks
03-20-2013, 04:08 PM
I dont need to buy new hardware, but once you are dedicated to something you want good equipment. I will probably buy a new hd or an external idk.

Did you figure out if you're running 64 bit windows?

juji
03-20-2013, 04:10 PM
I already figured out he was recording with fraps. If he wants to upload in less time, he should convert videos to webm, dvix or whatever, besides AMD fusion isnt good at video encoding than Intel i3

lnopia the great
03-20-2013, 04:12 PM
how many minutes would he even be saving

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Did you figure out if you're running 64 bit windows?

yeah always bro

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 04:18 PM
I already figured out he was recording with fraps. If he wants to upload in less time, he should convert videos to webm, dvix or whatever, besides AMD fusion isnt good at video encoding than Intel i3

its not just the upload time, i realized games will run smoother if fraps saves the movie to another drive. unless im misunderstanding something.

juji
03-20-2013, 04:20 PM

You should install codecs for some video editing software, im not sure windows mov maker would work

http://www.cccp-project.net/

converter make your video files smaller
http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Try to convert Html5 videos as ogg, h.264 and webm.

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 04:20 PM

Buy a good internal 1tb 7200rpm western digital caviar black when they are on sale for $75 and buy an additional sata cable since the sale drives are sold without a pretty retail box and a cable. After you install it and it you are sure it is a working drive register it @ WD by visiting their web site and you will get a 5 year warranty. You must register it online to get this longer warranty.

When you later decide to move into a new pc you can then simply add this drive to your new pc or buy an external enclosure for it. Western Digital's retail external drives use their lower tier green label power saving drives.

There is no harm in buying a drive now since you can always put it to use and when moved into a new pc it will have your data already on it.

Purchasing a discounted GPU will give you better performance in all video related tasks for less than $100.

Don't dump any more than $200 into your present pc

/.02

UofLCardfan08
03-20-2013, 04:27 PM
here, I just looked at today's specials

you will need to register @ newegg so you will be able to use the code

http://i46.tinypic.com/eq5g78.png

this leaves you $120 for a gpu based on a $200 budget

maks
03-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Purchasing a discounted GPU will give you better performance in all video related tasks for less than $100.

He's not rendering 3d, he's editing existing videos to cut them down and encode them into a sane format. A new video card isn't going to do squat.

juji
03-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Holy shit cardfan is wannabe nerd girl

m0nde
03-20-2013, 06:14 PM

your CPU is a budget price driven component, a Yugothis

juji
03-20-2013, 06:21 PM
Yu-gi-Oh!

rubycalaber
03-20-2013, 06:23 PM
YOU TRIGGERED MY TRAP CARD!

http://cdnthumb.spankbang.com/232/4/2/42861-t4.jpg

m0nde
03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Now we're into the valley north of Beijing, we will stay here now night or more and then we went to Shanghai to meet her wool (mother Teresa) and his collaborator Sean is her husband. We are going to be with them for about 2-3 days, and thinks they must show us there. It will be nice to get a float with them because it's hard to make himself understood here that we have a somewhat better get to try here in this wonderful city of Dalian.
upon arrival in Beijing, it was our first project going to the beach end The town known for being a popular tourist site. When we got to the beach was not much about the man and the few who were afraid came from Vlad Ivor Stok (or similar) in Russia, all the property and tom ja no mouth there. We checked with the hotel and Laysan do not want to stay alone a 50 storey hotel because we decided to go somewhere else to another beach which turned out to be perhaps the idea of excellence least at first. After about an hour search of a train passing a flottusut coast and such other hour train we finally arrived at the place. It was quite nicely classy place but nobody there except some motor wear trendy of this as that besiege us as the result of the train and impatient to drive us where we wanted to go in but I did not even yourself so we decided to walk but still Their chased us like rats kinds clamorous that definitely was good, but we were quite clever. This area was all with new houses and hotels that were in the building that is to be a terrible cool. We walked to Voda a nice hotel that was very nice and empty too, we managed to bargain with the price as it had reached about 1200 crowns for this great suite with beautiful views but Hilmar Knuts once told me it was the best buy in flat like that so we went for it. After a shower we went for a walk and there was no process except a motor ride cool worlds and they were still trying to offer to shuttle us a small price. We saw the light in the darkness and walk in light and this turned out to be a convenience store just a bit small but still big enough to get the 15 Chinese people were all trying to watch their team in football, it was nice to see them there, and the man in charge if everyone gets in sjoppuma hja Teddy Bear to watch the ball live. We took a picture in which we try to put in when the world since we'll all be back in (whenever such prices).
previous night we slept so poor Hote inside downtown Dalian, it was not a fun experience and a bad smell inside the town, but this was Only option because we were very tired, we go to a day at the beach hotel and got lovely fine Herbert for 2000 kroner, making it even with Cognac room :), so we should sleep well tonight.
prices of food in China is amazing, for example, we went last week to eat five in a very good place to citizens of 250 crowns a head with something good to drink. I am going to let this suffice for now, is becoming confused them before best to hurry us home in sweat and our watch the sunset in Cognac room. So tomorrow we go to Shanghai by train and the journey takes about 24 hours total.

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
thanks for all the advice guys i found it helpful

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
going to get an internal hard drive

lnopia the great
03-20-2013, 07:58 PM
all internal

m0nde
03-20-2013, 08:35 PM
raw dog

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 08:48 PM
raw dog

gotta raw dog it like your avatar

blumpkin blownuts
03-20-2013, 09:32 PM
You use FRAPS to capture video. FRAPS generates an AVI file using their own codec, FPS1, which is a very-low-compression codec. This means that if a short video is taking hours to generate, then your bottleneck is probably your disk transfer speed, not your CPU.

If you already have a 7200rpm internal drive, you don't need another, unless you're out of disk space and can't clean up enough free space. If that's the case, go ahead and get the external and use it as storage, then use your existing internal drive to save captured videos. Also, how often do you scandisk & defrag that drive? A highly-fragmented drive will greatly increase the time it takes to save large files, such as FRAPS output.

As maks said, video compression and encoding doesn't use the video card at all. It only uses the CPU, RAM, and disk.

It looks like FRAPS doesn't allow you to set the following options, but your container (mpeg, mp2, mp4, avi, wmv etc) and especially your codec (divx, xvid, h.264, FPS1, etc) will make a big difference, independent of your hardware.

The way it works (in general) is this:

Less compression (e.g. FPS1) --
less work needed by CPU to generate output video file
higher filesize and more time to write output video file to disk
higher visual quality

More compression (e.g. divx) --
more work needed by CPU to generate output video file
lower output filesize and less time to write video file to disk
lower visual quality

The key point to remember is that as long as you use an internal drive (or newer e-SATA, or USB 3 externals) then your speed will be limited by the CPU output, not your disk transfer speed. But this is generally only true for highly-compressed output.
For formats with little-to-no compression, like Uncompressed AVI, RAW video, or FRAPS AVI - these require very little CPU work, so the time it takes to write the file to disk is limited by your disk transfer speed instead of your CPU.

Very-low-compression formats are too large in size to be useful in most applications.

That's why my first suggestion is to get rid of FRAPS, and instead use a video capture program such as CamStudio, which outputs a variety of highly-compressed outputs. Get this program, and in video options set it to use DIVX compression. Divx is the most balanced codec in my professional opinion, as the output has low filesize, decent quality, and the algorithm is relatively fast - meaning that you don't need a high-power CPU to generate it in a timely fashion.

If it's still too slow, and you have a clean internal hard drive, then you will need to upgrade your CPU.

I've been ripping DVDs into video files for over a decade. I've also worked as a video editor in TV news for 3 years.

juji
03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
You use FRAPS to capture video. FRAPS generates an AVI file using their own codec, FPS1, which is a very-low-compression codec. This means that if a short video is taking hours to generate, then your bottleneck is probably your disk transfer speed, not your CPU.

If you already have a 7200rpm internal drive, you don't need another, unless you're out of disk space and can't clean up enough free space. If that's the case, go ahead and get the external and use it as storage, then use your existing internal drive to save captured videos. Also, how often do you scandisk & defrag that drive? A highly-fragmented drive will greatly increase the time it takes to save large files, such as FRAPS output.

As maks said, video compression and encoding doesn't use the video card at all. It only uses the CPU, RAM, and disk.

It looks like FRAPS doesn't allow you to set the following options, but your container (mpeg, mp2, mp4, avi, wmv etc) and especially your codec (divx, xvid, h.264, FPS1, etc) will make a big difference, independent of your hardware.

The way it works (in general) is this:

Less compression (e.g. FPS1) --
less work needed by CPU to generate output video file
higher filesize and more time to write output video file to disk
higher visual quality

More compression (e.g. divx) --
more work needed by CPU to generate output video file
lower output filesize and less time to write video file to disk
lower visual quality

The key point to remember is that as long as you use an internal drive (or newer e-SATA, or USB 3 externals) then your speed will be limited by the CPU output, not your disk transfer speed. But this is generally only true for highly-compressed output.
For formats with little-to-no compression, like Uncompressed AVI, RAW video, or FRAPS AVI - these require very little CPU work, so the time it takes to write the file to disk is limited by your disk transfer speed instead of your CPU.

Very-low-compression formats are too large in size to be useful in most applications.

That's why my first suggestion is to get rid of FRAPS, and instead use a video capture program such as CamStudio, which outputs a variety of highly-compressed outputs. Get this program, and in video options set it to use DIVX compression. Divx is the most balanced codec in my professional opinion, as the output has low filesize, decent quality, and the algorithm is relatively fast - meaning that you don't need a high-power CPU to generate it in a timely fashion.

If it's still too slow, and you have a clean internal hard drive, then you will need to upgrade your CPU.

I've been ripping DVDs into video files for over a decade. I've also worked as a video editor in TV news for 3 years.

dude H.264 is better than dvix because it has good encoding speed

rubycalaber
03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
CamStudio is good I use it to record ellybabes webcam jerk off shows

rootbeer
03-20-2013, 10:30 PM
CamStudio is good I use it to record ellybabes webcam jerk off shows

duly noted

m0nde
03-20-2013, 10:56 PM
there's some really simple thing i got that i used to use to record web cammers to make my loops
when i find it on my laptop i'll give it to you

m0nde
03-20-2013, 11:02 PM
okay here: http://www.nbxsoft.com/screen-recorder.php
very simple stuff, better than fraps in my opnion

juji
03-20-2013, 11:05 PM
okay here: http://www.nbxsoft.com/screen-recorder.php
very simple stuff, better than fraps in my opnion

Not really, you can't record game when is on fullscreen

m0nde
03-20-2013, 11:07 PM
for what i was doing with it, i found it much more lightweight and simple than fraps

juji
03-20-2013, 11:17 PM
I personally like camtasia studio, fastest production

StompleB
03-20-2013, 11:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UoZVG4q.jpg

m0nde
03-20-2013, 11:19 PM
I personally like camtasia studio, fastest productionthat is good, but the trial version is limited
if you get the full version pirated, then that's great

m0nde
03-20-2013, 11:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UoZVG4q.jpghttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/m0nde/1253093657600.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/m0nde/1253094567660.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/m0nde/1253094662475.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/m0nde/1253048978766.jpg

maks
03-21-2013, 01:03 AM
going to get an internal hard drive

make sure you get sata 3 (or whatever your motherboard supports)

Though I think the cpu would help more, assuming your current drive is sata 3 (or whatever your bus supports) it's not going to be noticeably faster