PDA

View Full Version : SnickersGate

syncan aka ken post jr
03-04-2012, 01:00 AM
It's not much of a surprise that I think rubynet is a great fourm. Most posters do, because we're faggots and we love the idea that people are watching rapt as we reveal the fascinating things we think and do during a day. I think the reality of what people think when they read my posts is different.

But some posters were getting criticism yesterday when it emerged that they were advertising Snickers and had been paid to do so.

This raises some interesting questions. Advertising is big business, and it always will be, in some form or other. This is a new way of getting a message out to the public, and it uses big "brands" like footballers and, erm, whatever it is clay actually does for a living. It's probably a lot cheaper than putting them in an advert, and you speak directly to a percentage of their rubynet followers.

Of course, since it began, rubynet has wrestled with the idea of advertising. It's not popular on the service, and the firm itself has struggled to work out how to make money out of its users, without annoying so many people that they leave the service, a la Facebook.

Here, the brands themselves are taking it upon themselves to use rubynet's reach to get their message out. And, at the time all this started, it's official Snickers account only had around 700 followers, compared to 2 for Clay - who was one of the posters in question.

In this case though, it has backfired a little. Followers of clay asked if he was really in need of the money, and there was general anger about this form of advertising, which was not obviously marked as such. The ad might even get investigated by a selection of watchdogs, but, this being the Internet, no one is entirely sure which watchdog should take charge.

As much as I don't like the idea of sponsored messages on rubynet, I don't really view it as being any different to any other kind of advertising. I think it shows some contempt for your followers though, but then people are smart, and if they take offence, I'm pretty sure they'll just unfollow the people who try to sell access to their eyeballs.

clay
03-04-2012, 01:14 AM
capitalize my name or im ip banning you

maks
03-04-2012, 01:24 AM
so anyway I went to my boss's house and his kids are annoying little cunts and I was supposed to go to a customer's site and clone a few machine but I blew it off and went to the bar and dreamed about shooting the people singing kareoke then I came home and smoked a joint and messaged clay on steam and he mentioned that he had an almond joy the other day and while he missed the caramel an almond is just as good as a peanut and the coconut is way easier on his teeth than nouget. how did everyone else's day go?

Desolation
03-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Woke up around 2. Played some video games. Ate some BBQ. Watched some basketball. Same ol', same ol'....

syncan aka ken post jr
03-04-2012, 01:41 AM
i was gonna watch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/ while i work but i now idk

Desolation
03-04-2012, 01:45 AM
Need a good movie to watch.

maks
03-04-2012, 02:04 AM
if you haven't seen it check out Cemetary Man

boobz
03-04-2012, 02:20 AM
i finally watched Thor just now. wasn't as bad as expected

rootbeer
03-04-2012, 08:21 AM
Need a good movie to watch.

pulling john, best movie of the century

Plug Drugs
03-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Escanaba in Da Moonlight is sort of a good movie if you can handle Jeff Daniels and the obligatory fart jokes
It sort of makes you feel like you're in for a family tale at first, but then it starts to be sort of funny, and then it starts to get scary, and in the end it ends up warming your heart

Plug Drugs
03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
if you like watching cult movies that break away from the traditional movie formula, I highly recommend the movie Caligula or Fritz the Cat

also if you've never seen them, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch are two of the best and funniest crime movies that exist

Plug Drugs
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
good man,
i've actually got to wonder weather or not you just looked back at that thread i made where i shared a pic of my movies folder and now you're just trying to suck up to me or something (dont know why you would though)
because i'm impressed with your top 3 favorites

Plug Drugs
03-04-2012, 10:57 PM
if you don't mind me playing Freud here for a second (lay down on my virtual couch, if you will)
Your two favorite movies being A Clockwork Orange and The Wall would lead me to believe that you had trouble transitioning to adulthood, and perhaps are still sort of stuck in limbo

Plug Drugs
03-04-2012, 10:58 PM
the underlying themes of both A Clockwork Orange and The Wall is the cognitive dissonance that most schizophrenics (who don't yet know they're schizophrenics) begin to experience between the ages of 17 and 25.

Of course, there are those who successfully learn to live with the schizophrenia (they have the disease but they can hide/suppress the signs and symptoms). We simply label these types as having a "schizoid personality" - or in older psychology literature: "neurotic". Do you fall into the latter category?

Camoron
03-04-2012, 10:58 PM
* adjusts glasses *

boobz
03-04-2012, 11:56 PM
* adjusts glasses *

:lmao: pretentious shit movie thread let me find my monocle

boobz
03-04-2012, 11:56 PM
:monocle:

Plug Drugs
03-05-2012, 01:04 AM