PDA

View Full Version : http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

steveyos
07-13-2013, 02:01 PM
http://memory.dataram.com/products-and-services/software/ramdisk

that's what I"m using to dedicate 4gb of my ram as my second life cache

steveyos
07-13-2013, 02:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QnVkRQL.png

0mon Ra
07-13-2013, 02:02 PM
dude fuck off nobody cares about your secondlife. or your first life.

juji
07-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Does it work to hardrives and storage devices?

maks
07-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Does it work to hardrives and storage devices?

that's not what a ramdisk does, it creates a virtual drive in RAM. we used to use them a lot in the dos days. stevey is wise to only use it for cache, since it's in ram once your machine reboots the whole drive is gone

steveyos
07-13-2013, 02:37 PM
second life is made entirely by players so every new item is a new object, every texture is different, literally every single thing is different

having that on a normal hard drive is hell, it's pure hell, and on a solid state drive it kills the drive in like 20 seconds

with the ram disk, like marks said it's stored on ram, and second life loads instatnly

the good thing is though this program saves it to my 4tb hdd so I don't actually lose the cache, oh man I love this shit I love it so much

steveyos
07-13-2013, 02:38 PM
http://i.imgur.com/xlT9plt.png

steveyos
07-13-2013, 02:40 PM
on the left: my second life cache on my ram

on the right: ramdisk.img is it saved on my 4tb hdd, it saves it every time I shut the program down or every 15 minutes, or when I turn my comtpuer off etc then loads it up when I turn the program back on

steveyos
07-13-2013, 02:43 PM
that ram icon on my task bar to the left of my dataram program is second life, I changed the icon to remind my self to start the damn ramdisk program first lol because if I don't sl resets to the default cache on my ssd and I have to set it again and restart, though I should just set the ramdisk to boot with my pc since all I play is second life anyway and I have 16gb of ram so even if I do something else I still have 12gb of ram which is still overkill

juji
07-13-2013, 03:09 PM
that's not what a ramdisk does, it creates a virtual drive in RAM. we used to use them a lot in the dos days. stevey is wise to only use it for cache, since it's in ram once your machine reboots the whole drive is gone

Thanks for clearing that, is really neccesary?

steveyos
07-13-2013, 03:10 PM
it is for second life's cache

steveyos
07-13-2013, 03:11 PM
A Ramdisk is a disk drive that stores data in your computers memory (very fast) rather than on a physical disk drive (very slow). In a nutshell, you are sacrificing some of your computers memory in exchange for a very fast virtual disk drive. Second Life uses a disk cache to help speed up rezzing of repeat locations, placing this cache in a ram drive will dramatically boost it's performance.
This will not speed up the loading of locations the first time you visit them.
This is especially useful if your computer uses a solid state drive (SSD) as it will reduce the frequency of physical disk access and extend the life if your hardware.
This guide is written for Catznip running on Windows 8 64bit. Other viewers / Windows versions should work without issue but YMMV.

juji
07-13-2013, 03:21 PM
A Ramdisk is a disk drive that stores data in your computers memory (very fast) rather than on a physical disk drive (very slow). In a nutshell, you are sacrificing some of your computers memory in exchange for a very fast virtual disk drive. Second Life uses a disk cache to help speed up rezzing of repeat locations, placing this cache in a ram drive will dramatically boost it's performance.
This will not speed up the loading of locations the first time you visit them.
This is especially useful if your computer uses a solid state drive (SSD) as it will reduce the frequency of physical disk access and extend the life if your hardware.
This guide is written for Catznip running on Windows 8 64bit. Other viewers / Windows versions should work without issue but YMMV.

Thanks, maybe when I get SSD, I remember maks told me SSD fucking sucks.

steveyos
07-13-2013, 03:24 PM
the one I got is amazing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147194

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

windows 8 boots in under ten seconds and my games dont' even have loading bars

juji
07-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Like NES and SNES consoles had ancient SSD on the games didn't have loading screens.

steveyos
07-13-2013, 03:27 PM
right and now my common and current games don't have loading screens either, the circle is complete

maks
07-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks for clearing that, is really neccesary?

if you're using something that hits the disk all the time then it will be much faster. optimally a sata 3 drive has a transfer rate of 6Gb/s vs more like 10Gb/s for 1Ghz DDR3 and the seek speed is faster too even compared to an SSD

maks
07-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks, maybe when I get SSD, I remember maks told me SSD fucking sucks.

I told you they're small and expensive and break more often than hard drives, all of those things are true

juji
07-13-2013, 03:29 PM
I told you they're small and expensive and break more often than hard drives, all of those things are true

Is true SSD has shorter life than hard drive?

steveyos
07-13-2013, 03:29 PM

in 2009

steveyos
07-13-2013, 03:30 PM

in 2009

juji
07-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Maybe you mean SSD is not 2009 when it's using RAMDisk

Camoron
07-13-2013, 03:34 PM

it depends
SSDs have a finite lifespan and HDDs have a random lifespan. HDDs could die of mechanical failure at any time, SSDs can't die of mechanical failure since they have no moving parts, but there is only so many times you can write to the disk

juji
07-13-2013, 03:36 PM
it depends
SSDs have a finite lifespan and HDDs have a random lifespan. HDDs could die of mechanical failure at any time, SSDs can't die of mechanical failure since they have no moving parts, but there is only so many times you can write to the disk

It makes sense, SSD is semiconductor.

maks
07-13-2013, 03:46 PM

depends on how often you hit them, specifically how often you write to them. I wouldn't put my pagefile there, not unless I had a whole fuckton of ram

juji
07-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Yeah, it's stupid to have a powerful pc to run second life

maks
07-13-2013, 03:48 PM
in 2009

no they still cost 2-3x as much as a hard drive for the same amount of storage and still have a finate amount of writes which leads to bad sectors piling up which leads to data corruption. In a production environment I'd recommend replacing them every 2 years, I give consumer level hdd's 3 years and enterprise hdds 4-5

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:01 PM
no they still cost 2-3x as much as a hard drive for the same amount of storage and still have a finate amount of writes which leads to bad sectors piling up which leads to data corruption. In a production environment I'd recommend replacing them every 2 years, I give consumer level hdd's 3 years and enterprise hdds 4-5

well see, I don't use my computer like everyone else, I barely touch mine so I'm fine with everyting literally loading instantly and with the amount I use it I won't have to replace it for ten years

over 100 terrorbytes written to the non-pro version of my drive so far and still going http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/5196/samsung-840-ssd-storage-endurance-testing-tlc-to-the-end/index.html

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:03 PM
I'll never go anywhere near that so mine should last forever, hooray instant loading

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:06 PM
second life on ssd

second life cache on ramdisk

windows 8

fuck what you heard I"m living it, it's great, it's amazing it's as good as it gets abandon your influences and upgrade today

maks
07-13-2013, 04:11 PM
stevey I've worked on machines with 4 quad core xeon processors and a terabyte of RAM I'm not ever going to be impressed by your gaming rig. it's a nice box and I'm sure it runs second life really well but get ahold of yourself it's just a run of the mill high end home pc

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:13 PM
it runs EVERY game maxed, how jaded can you possibly be it takes the hardest task of computing and does it as good as it can possibly be done what do you want it to also cook you breakfast?!

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:17 PM
the bios uses a 3d interface that I can use my mouse in, there's two of them, the motherboard has a built in hdmi port, dvi port, vga port, two internet ports for some reason, there's three huge fans and 50 normal ones, there's even a spot for a fan behind the motherboard where the processor is, there's usb 3.0 ports on the mobo and on the top front of the tower, the graphics card pushes heat over a foot out of the back, there's RED LED'S, and I put the stickers from all the parts in every direction except facing upwards and I even took the copyright part of the gigabyte sticker that you're not evne supposed to put on the pc and put that on there and then put the gigabyte logo that you're supposed to put on there in that upside down, and I HAVE A 1TB HARD DRIVE PLUGGED INTO THE TOP OF THE TOWER BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON YOU CAN EVEN PLUG A HARD DRIVE INTO THE TOP OF THE TOWER

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:18 PM
AND IT CAME WITH WHEELS

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:19 PM
the power supply came in a velvet pouch too and it alone weighs about 50 pounds

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:19 PM
and none of the wires are permanently attached now that is awesome

maks
07-13-2013, 04:22 PM
it runs EVERY game maxed, how jaded can you possibly be it takes the hardest task of computing and does it as good as it can possibly be done what do you want it to also cook you breakfast?!

I work on VM hosts that house 20-25 copies of Server 2008r2, your machine would slow to a crawl after the third in fact it would need more ram just to hit the minimum system requirements

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:24 PM
yeah but I hate computers and would rather be shredding my guitar live on stage in front of a million people and then afterwards buliding a house for starving africans you understand that right, I hate computers, I don't care about technology, it's boring and stupid, I have a computer that can run every game maxed and I don't even like any games out, you get thsi right

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:26 PM
the only reason I even have a computer is for second life and the only reason I play second life is because I make money very easy and I do that using blender and the stuff I make cna be put into any other game and used to make animated movies so I can make a gun, make money from it in second life, then put it on one of my characters for my kid's show as they shoot up a pre school

that's ltierally it for me with computers if I couldn't make real money in second life I wouldn't even have one you get that right

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:27 PM
what is with you nerds ugh why do you guys get so mad when I say I'm not into star wars it's always an argument why can't I just enjoy real life and not care about star wars damn

steveyos
07-13-2013, 04:29 PM
and back to the point my ssd will last forever stop acting like it isn't true, maybe you guys might kill it with all your anime torrents but that's why you have a hdd in your tower too

see me, I don't watch anime, my drive will last forever

back to the point of this thread, ramdisk, I love having a ramdisk for my second life cache

why we're now arguing about star wars is beyond me you nerds are insane

maks
07-13-2013, 04:32 PM
I get that you became really upset when I told you how tiny your machine is in the grand scheme of things.

juji
07-13-2013, 04:46 PM
I don't understand why steveyos just rage quit about his new computer can't even beat to super computers.

I heard he needed a new powerful computer to create new stuffs to make money in second life, I personally believe it's misconception. It should work fine with old computers like a lot of people use old computers must be compatible with second life franchise stuffs.

juji
07-13-2013, 04:49 PM
At least, he lost less than $ 3600 and he's stupid like OB of computers