Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

fail

2. Collapse Details

the president has done something to become president and will not automatically be president until the day he dies it's not a perfect system but it beats the fuck out of monarchy. if I lived in a country where I'm expected to bow down when a particular rich old cunt walks by, I'd never be able to respect myself. It's contrary to my belief that people are born equal, it's bullshit and she needs to die for perpetuating it because historically the only way to rid yourself of a monarchy is to kill the monarchs

3. Collapse Details

maybe if over 80% of people like her and want her to stay she should be able to stay since thats the epitome of democracy

4. Collapse Details

also thats actually not true at all, greece and italy both removed their monarchs by (very close) plebiscites/military coups, austria-hungary and germany both deposed their monarchs in republican revolutions, france deposed charles x in 1830, louis-philippe in 1848 and then napoleon iii in 1870 (none of them died), the monarchs of romania, bulgaria, albania and yugoslavia were all overthrown in communist coups (and survived)

5. Collapse Details

hitler was democratically elected are you suggesting we should have left him in power?

6. Collapse Details

#1) the queen isnt hitler and hitler was only elected because germany got rid of its monarchs
    #2) the institution of constitutional monarchy itself is probably one of the best in the world since it provides stability, legitimacy, and an emergency switch that can be pulled when necessary - like in the instance of hitler rising to power. the reason it is inherited is because it is one person who has spent their entire lives preparing for that one moment when they need to step in and do something important. when the netherlands were invaded by germany during ww2, queen wilhelmina practically ran the resistance herself and lent immediate credibility to the government-in-exile, the spanish king (who was only restored in 1970) stared down a fascist military coup that wanted to strengthen the powers of the king and forced them to stand down with nothing but a television speech, and the emperor of japan was one of the only things that managed to keep the japanese subdued after ww2

symbols are important and monarchs with virtually no power are fine in my book

7. Collapse Details

you need to understand that the westminster system - and in fact the parliamentary system in general - is totally divorced from the system we have in the us and many with a parliamentary system have powerless presidents who are elected by the people or appointed by the legislature, virtually unknown in their countries, and are just political stooges placed there by their party. how many people are paying money to go and see the president of germany? do you know who the president of germany is

8. Collapse Details

i daer you to make it out of ferguson alive
    australia would suck as a republic, the way the democracy works right now is fine with the attorney general, there is no good system drawn up for becoming a republic and until then the only "good" reason for aus to become a republic is "to become our own country" or "because monarchy sucks"... if we became a republic our democratic system would become worse off.
    *call centre crew*
    *hate talking to people crew*
    *get abused for a living crew*
    *sexually harassed by hot women crew*

9. Collapse Details

Doli you're a fucking ass. You need to do some real research on who the fucking old bitch is.

I bet you like the Pope too?

10. Collapse Details

god save thee queen
    *call centre crew*

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Doli View Post
    #1) the queen isnt hitler and hitler was only elected because germany got rid of its monarchs
    #2) the institution of constitutional monarchy itself is probably one of the best in the world since it provides stability, legitimacy, and an emergency switch that can be pulled when necessary - like in the instance of hitler rising to power. the reason it is inherited is because it is one person who has spent their entire lives preparing for that one moment when they need to step in and do something important. when the netherlands were invaded by germany during ww2, queen wilhelmina practically ran the resistance herself and lent immediate credibility to the government-in-exile, the spanish king (who was only restored in 1970) stared down a fascist military coup that wanted to strengthen the powers of the king and forced them to stand down with nothing but a television speech, and the emperor of japan was one of the only things that managed to keep the japanese subdued after ww2

symbols are important and monarchs with virtually no power are fine in my book
    #1) the queen is worse than hitler and hitler was elected because the weimars were buttfaces and used kaiser wilheim to give legitimacy to his dictatorship by drawing parallels with the monarchy, he even held a state funeral for the fucking guy
    #2) for every example you find of kings doing something noble I can find 50 of them being either useless or detrimental and we both know it so I'm not even going to bother listing specifics. you'd run out before I got halfway through caligula.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by marks98 View Post
    australia would suck as a republic, the way the democracy works right now is fine with the attorney general, there is no good system drawn up for becoming a republic and until then the only "good" reason for aus to become a republic is "to become our own country" or "because monarchy sucks"... if we became a republic our democratic system would become worse off.
    the queen serves literally no purpose in your government other than leeching money and attention. australia would be the same exact country without her.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by maks View Post
    the queen serves literally no purpose in your government other than leeching money and attention. australia would be the same exact country without her.
    australia actually doesnt pay any money for the queen except when shes visiting the country, which doesnt happen very often, and when she does studies have shown that she actually brings in more revenue for the state than she requires.

14. Collapse Details

#1) the queen is worse than hitler and hitler was elected because the weimars were buttfaces and used kaiser wilheim to give legitimacy to his dictatorship by drawing parallels with the monarchy, he even held a state funeral for the fucking guy
    #2) for every example you find of kings doing something noble I can find 50 of them being either useless or detrimental and we both know it so I'm not even going to bother listing specifics. you'd run out before I got halfway through caligula.
    lmao lets see, hitler: killed millions of jews and plunged the entire world into war. the queen: likes corgis and rides around on horses and inspects the guard and people like her.

yeah except we arent talking about every monarch in the world, we're talking about constitutional monarchies in the 20th century. the institution has changed, it sounds like youre the one stuck in the dark ages if you think that monarchy is any more "dark ages" than a republic (hint: republics were around in the 3rd century and even further back)

the fact of the matter is the british parliament could pass an act tomorrow getting rid of the monarchy altogether - no constitutional amendments, unlike australia or canada or the 13 other countries with the queen as head of state - and if the people wanted that you can rest assured it would happen, but they dont and so it doesnt, so it's a complete non-issue except among republican elites who think they know better than the common person and in so doing, pretty ironically, are depriving them of that same democratic principle they claim to try and defend

15. Collapse Details

16. Collapse Details

governor general* not the attorney...
    the governor general is appointed by the queen to represent the monarch...
    this link gives information on his purpose, which is important in our democratic system http://www.gg.gov.au/content.php/cat...d/1/title/role
    changing to a republic would require good planning we cant just jump into it
    *call centre crew*

17. Collapse Details

god save thee queen

18. Collapse Details

also, she actually serves a huge purpose, read up on the 1975 Australian constitutional crisis and whitlam's dismissal by the governor general, the monarchy is literally the foundation of the state

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    okay marco why dont you drop the bomb and tell me why we would not have a jaded political system without the governor general
    *call centre crew*

20. Collapse Details

you dont even know what a governor general is you asshole
    *call centre crew*

21. Collapse Details

i think britain keeps the monarchy out of tradition more than anything, and how exactly would britain go about telling the old farts that they're no longer royalty?
    Unless they all tragically died in the same freak accident and the government of britain decides to just discontinue the monarchy altogether, I think they're stuck with them

22. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Gentleman Doli View Post
    australia actually doesnt pay any money for the queen except when shes visiting the country, which doesnt happen very often, and when she does studies have shown that she actually brings in more revenue for the state than she requires.
    then they'll have plenty left over to build a guillotine

23. Collapse Details

no one has written good guidelines to our political system if it were to become a republic, that is what needs to be done first before having a bunch of anti monarchist hooligans trying to convince everyone in a referendum to vote for becoming a republic
    *call centre crew*

24. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Plug Drugs View Post
    i think britain keeps the monarchy out of tradition more than anything, and how exactly would britain go about telling the old farts that they're no longer royalty?
    Unless they all tragically died in the same freak accident and the government of britain decides to just discontinue the monarchy altogether, I think they're stuck with them
    I wouldn't settle for anything less than a rusiian revolution style bloodbath. say what you want about the russians but they know how to handle a royal family

25. Collapse Details

you dont even know what a governor general is you asshole

26. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Plug Drugs View Post
    if they got a bill through parliament abolishing the monarchy, then it would be abolished. that's that, there's nothing more to it since the united kingdom has no constitution. cromwell had parliament do something similar and then he became a dictator

27. Collapse Details

I wouldn't settle for anything less than a rusiian revolution style bloodbath. say what you want about the russians but they know how to handle a royal family
    lmao you literally know nothing about this

28. Collapse Details

maks is the only one of you that has a clue. Shut Barry you ingnoramus.

29. Collapse Details

no one has written good guidelines to our political system if it were to become a republic, that is what needs to be done first before having a bunch of anti monarchist hooligans trying to convince everyone in a referendum to vote for becoming a republic
    australia actually voted down a referendum only 10 years ago and support for a republic has only gone down since then, similar things happened in st. vincent and the grenadines and tuvalu i think

30. Collapse Details

Doli would eat the Queens dried turds for breakfast.

Thread Information