1. Collapse Details
    chaykins as house pets - a guide 
    my weapons turn me into a m0nde's Avatar
    Imagine sitting in front of the crackling fireplace, your book cracked open, and a big beautiful Buff orpington sleeping silently on your lap,Or you and your favorite chicken watching tv on the couch.on a cold winter day

If these thoughts are appealing to you, Congratulations! you're ready to take the next step in owning chickens , as house pets.

If you are thinking of keeping a chicken as a house pet,there are a few thing's you need to consider first. Most Importantly is Potty training See the post below for a guide to potty training your chicken. You will also need to consider the gender of your house bird, for pets sake you should never mix two sexes of chickens. A rooster should be kept as a solitary house pet, and will get hormonally in-balanced if hen's or other bird's are around. Whereas you can keep a few hens. and not have as big of a problem.But remember rooster's are apt to crow but hens are ASSURED to sing the egg song! Also consider if there are other pet's in the house, make sure that they are chicken compatible.

You can enjoy the company of your favorite chicken , and make him/her extremely tame while keeping them as house pet's. They are inquisitive and follow you like a puppy dog, and want to be part of everything you do. Take your chicken outside often, so he/she is getting appropriate sunlight levels to ensure good health.

As for sleeping provisions a small dog cage works well put something warm,and machine washable in the bottom and, cover the cage over with a sheet, so the chicken feels secure. and if he's a rooster he wont be as apt crow in the early morning if the light levels are kept low.

Are ya selling armor? Because I'd have to have full chicken body armor so the dogs don't munch her.

I've actually got a house chicken, sorta: she's my fave and kept a super tiny one in with her for company. They're in a rabbit cage in the guestroom but they're barely 5 weeks old.

But now I notice she's not getting as bulked up as the others out being wild things in the pumphouse. Maybe not enough exercise?

First I would advise to hand tame and potty train her. she need's to be let out of the cage for exercise. and should only go in the cage at night so she doesn't get into trouble. If the room is closed up let them free range the room so the dog's cant get her.

That's brand new carpet in that room....I tried putting a tarp down and a sheet over it but they invariably take it apart and poop underneath it somehow.

I sent away for diapers to some nice lady in AR so I'm hoping they get here soon. Then the dogs'll have to be outside when she's out loose I guess. I know that chicken will be riding my shoulder in the car someday: she's so personable.

She's hand tame now: she jumps up and down like a toddler wanting to be picked up, then crawls up my arm. She's very annoyed if she's not cuddled each time I go in that room and scolds me.

Midget, the little bird in with her tolerates being held...but she's only humoring me. I can tell
    Last edited by m0nde; 06-02-2012 at 09:28 AM.

2. Collapse Details

The first step to forming your chicken into a wonderful pet is potty training.so you can bring your favorite chicken inside, and enjoy each others company more often, without having to pickup after him at the same time.

A few notes:
    1. In order to potty train your chicken,He MUST be hand tamed this mean he can sit on your hand without assistance.(Such as holding him in place or having both hands on him).This means the chicken should sit freely on your hand, and more importantly,enjoy it.

2. There will be accidents even after training your chicken to use a specified area to poop, just as would a dog, or any other household pet, accidents happen, you may have to pick up a few .

3.No Praise! Chickens do not do well with complex words as praise it will just confuse things, and we do not use them to tell them that they have done a good job. If you want to reward a chicken, give him a treat.The way to a chickens heart is through his stomach.

4. Patience! Training your chicken does take time, especially with complex exercises such as this, you must be patient and work with your chicken.

5. The younger the betterAs with any animal, Young chickens who have been hand tamed make the best candidates for potty training, it is easier to train them at a younger age(around 3 week's is optimal) but this is not saying that it cant be done with older birds.

Ok let's get down to business! (no pun intended)

First we will teach your chicken to poop on command, this is not absolutely necessary but it does help a lot. Training this behavior is all about Anticipation anticipating when your bird is going to go is a key factor in training him. Many birds ruffle their feathers right before they do, some don't. watch your bird in the coop and, see how he acts right before pooping.

When you bring him inside have an area for him to go in, Such as a litter box, or paper's.

Hold your chicken on your arm, and do something idle like watching tv, or even forum'ing on BYC, watch your bird closely for signs that he is about to go.

Side-Note:(You need a signal such as a Click,hand signal, or whistle for the next step,No words!! this will be the command for pooping, try to choose a signal that you don't use everyday , it may lead to accidents)

When you think the bird is about to go, swiftly take him to the designated area and hold him over it, until you hear the tell-taleSquit! use the signal that you've chosen , and IMMEDIATELY reward him with a treat.

Repeat this process when you think he is about to go, until you can give the signal for him to go!

Once you have trained the above you can move on to the next step,this one is pretty easy.

During training the above
    you should have noted a pattern in timing around which your bird will poop,
    when it's almost time, set the bird down on the area designated,and give the command for poop,if he goes reward him promptly, if he doesn't do not reward him. (Only reinforce the behavior your trying to train, nothing else.) Systematically practice this exercise until he start's going on his own.

PS:If there is interest I will write another article keeping chickens as house pets just let me know!

3. Collapse Details

Iron Hands fried chicken Chiang Mai technical college
    Imagine sitting in front of the crackling fireplace, your book cracked open, and a big beautiful Buff orpington sleeping silently on your lap,Or you and your favorite chicken watching tv on the couch.on a cold winter day

If these thoughts are appealing to you, Congratulations! you're ready to take the next step in owning chickens , as house pets.

If you are thinking of keeping a chicken as a house pet,there are a few thing's you need to consider first. Most Importantly is Potty training See the post below for a guide to potty training your chicken. You will also need to consider the gender of your house bird, for pets sake you should never mix two sexes of chickens. A rooster should be kept as a solitary house pet, and will get hormonally in-balanced if hen's or other bird's are around. Whereas you can keep a few hens. and not have as big of a problem.But remember rooster's are apt to crow but hens are ASSURED to sing the egg song! Also consider if there are other pet's in the house, make sure that they are chicken compatible.

You can enjoy the company of your favorite chicken , and make him/her extremely tame while keeping them as house pet's. They are inquisitive and follow you like a puppy dog, and want to be part of everything you do. Take your chicken outside often, so he/she is getting appropriate sunlight levels to ensure good health.

As for sleeping provisions a small dog cage works well put something warm,and machine washable in the bottom and, cover the cage over with a sheet, so the chicken feels secure. and if he's a rooster he wont be as apt crow in the early morning if the light levels are kept low.

Are ya selling armor? Because I'd have to have full chicken body armor so the dogs don't munch her.

I've actually got a house chicken, sorta: she's my fave and kept a super tiny one in with her for company. They're in a rabbit cage in the guestroom but they're barely 5 weeks old.

But now I notice she's not getting as bulked up as the others out being wild things in the pumphouse. Maybe not enough exercise?

First I would advise to hand tame and potty train her. she need's to be let out of the cage for exercise. and should only go in the cage at night so she doesn't get into trouble. If the room is closed up let them free range the room so the dog's cant get her.

That's brand new carpet in that room....I tried putting a tarp down and a sheet over it but they invariably take it apart and poop underneath it somehow.

I sent away for diapers to some nice lady in AR so I'm hoping they get here soon. Then the dogs'll have to be outside when she's out loose I guess. I know that chicken will be riding my shoulder in the car someday: she's so personable.

She's hand tame now: she jumps up and down like a toddler wanting to be picked up, then crawls up my arm. She's very annoyed if she's not cuddled each time I go in that room and scolds me.

Midget, the little bird in with her tolerates being held...but she's only humoring me. I can tell

4. Collapse Details

Iron Hands fried chicken Chiang Mai technical college
    The first step to forming your chicken into a wonderful pet is potty training.so you can bring your favorite chicken inside, and enjoy each others company more often, without having to pickup after him at the same time.

A few notes:
    1. In order to potty train your chicken,He MUST be hand tamed this mean he can sit on your hand without assistance.(Such as holding him in place or having both hands on him).This means the chicken should sit freely on your hand, and more importantly,enjoy it.

2. There will be accidents even after training your chicken to use a specified area to poop, just as would a dog, or any other household pet, accidents happen, you may have to pick up a few .

3.No Praise! Chickens do not do well with complex words as praise it will just confuse things, and we do not use them to tell them that they have done a good job. If you want to reward a chicken, give him a treat.The way to a chickens heart is through his stomach.

4. Patience! Training your chicken does take time, especially with complex exercises such as this, you must be patient and work with your chicken.

5. The younger the betterAs with any animal, Young chickens who have been hand tamed make the best candidates for potty training, it is easier to train them at a younger age(around 3 week's is optimal) but this is not saying that it cant be done with older birds.

Ok let's get down to business! (no pun intended)

First we will teach your chicken to poop on command, this is not absolutely necessary but it does help a lot. Training this behavior is all about Anticipation anticipating when your bird is going to go is a key factor in training him. Many birds ruffle their feathers right before they do, some don't. watch your bird in the coop and, see how he acts right before pooping.

When you bring him inside have an area for him to go in, Such as a litter box, or paper's.

Hold your chicken on your arm, and do something idle like watching tv, or even forum'ing on BYC, watch your bird closely for signs that he is about to go.

Side-Note:(You need a signal such as a Click,hand signal, or whistle for the next step,No words!! this will be the command for pooping, try to choose a signal that you don't use everyday , it may lead to accidents)

When you think the bird is about to go, swiftly take him to the designated area and hold him over it, until you hear the tell-taleSquit! use the signal that you've chosen , and IMMEDIATELY reward him with a treat.

Repeat this process when you think he is about to go, until you can give the signal for him to go!

Once you have trained the above you can move on to the next step,this one is pretty easy.

During training the above
    you should have noted a pattern in timing around which your bird will poop,
    when it's almost time, set the bird down on the area designated,and give the command for poop,if he goes reward him promptly, if he doesn't do not reward him. (Only reinforce the behavior your trying to train, nothing else.) Systematically practice this exercise until he start's going on his own.

PS:If there is interest I will write another article keeping chickens as house pets just let me know!

5. Collapse Details

R.i.p. Garfield 1986-2016 Garfield's Avatar

6. Collapse Details

R.i.p. Garfield 1986-2016 Garfield's Avatar

I sent away for diapers to some nice lady in AR so I'm hoping they get here soon. Then the dogs'll have to be outside when she's out loose I guess. I know that chicken will be riding my shoulder in the car someday: she's so personable..

7. Collapse Details

requestia de poulet

8. Collapse Details

chay la morte ti dia la pace chay cercavi

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by m0nde View Post
    If you are thinking of keeping a chicken as a house pet,there are a few thing's you should to consider first.

Thread Information