Exclamation
    http://memory.dataram.com/products-a...ftware/ramdisk

that's what I"m using to dedicate 4gb of my ram as my second life cache

2. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos

3. Collapse Details

Great poster or greatest? 0mon Ra's Avatar
    dude fuck off nobody cares about your secondlife. or your first life.

4. Collapse Details

Does it work to hardrives and storage devices?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by juji View Post
    Does it work to hardrives and storage devices?
    that's not what a ramdisk does, it creates a virtual drive in RAM. we used to use them a lot in the dos days. stevey is wise to only use it for cache, since it's in ram once your machine reboots the whole drive is gone

6. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    second life is made entirely by players so every new item is a new object, every texture is different, literally every single thing is different

having that on a normal hard drive is hell, it's pure hell, and on a solid state drive it kills the drive in like 20 seconds

with the ram disk, like marks said it's stored on ram, and second life loads instatnly

the good thing is though this program saves it to my 4tb hdd so I don't actually lose the cache, oh man I love this shit I love it so much

7. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos

8. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    on the left: my second life cache on my ram

on the right: ramdisk.img is it saved on my 4tb hdd, it saves it every time I shut the program down or every 15 minutes, or when I turn my comtpuer off etc then loads it up when I turn the program back on

9. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    that ram icon on my task bar to the left of my dataram program is second life, I changed the icon to remind my self to start the damn ramdisk program first lol because if I don't sl resets to the default cache on my ssd and I have to set it again and restart, though I should just set the ramdisk to boot with my pc since all I play is second life anyway and I have 16gb of ram so even if I do something else I still have 12gb of ram which is still overkill

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by maks View Post
    that's not what a ramdisk does, it creates a virtual drive in RAM. we used to use them a lot in the dos days. stevey is wise to only use it for cache, since it's in ram once your machine reboots the whole drive is gone
    Thanks for clearing that, is really neccesary?

Quote Originally Posted by Steffies Yelle View Post
    I'll kill myself live on cam as soon as there's proof I literlaly promise, I will sincerely kill myself as soon as I see elz's computer playing arma 3 maxed with all nvidia exclusive graphics

11. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    it is for second life's cache

12. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    A Ramdisk is a disk drive that stores data in your computers memory (very fast) rather than on a physical disk drive (very slow). In a nutshell, you are sacrificing some of your computers memory in exchange for a very fast virtual disk drive. Second Life uses a disk cache to help speed up rezzing of repeat locations, placing this cache in a ram drive will dramatically boost it's performance.
    This will not speed up the loading of locations the first time you visit them.
    This is especially useful if your computer uses a solid state drive (SSD) as it will reduce the frequency of physical disk access and extend the life if your hardware.
    This guide is written for Catznip running on Windows 8 64bit. Other viewers / Windows versions should work without issue but YMMV.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveyos View Post
    A Ramdisk is a disk drive that stores data in your computers memory (very fast) rather than on a physical disk drive (very slow). In a nutshell, you are sacrificing some of your computers memory in exchange for a very fast virtual disk drive. Second Life uses a disk cache to help speed up rezzing of repeat locations, placing this cache in a ram drive will dramatically boost it's performance.
    This will not speed up the loading of locations the first time you visit them.
    This is especially useful if your computer uses a solid state drive (SSD) as it will reduce the frequency of physical disk access and extend the life if your hardware.
    This guide is written for Catznip running on Windows 8 64bit. Other viewers / Windows versions should work without issue but YMMV.
    Thanks, maybe when I get SSD, I remember maks told me SSD fucking sucks.

I'll kill myself live on cam as soon as there's proof I literlaly promise, I will sincerely kill myself as soon as I see elz's computer playing arma 3 maxed with all nvidia exclusive graphics

14. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    the one I got is amazing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147194

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

windows 8 boots in under ten seconds and my games dont' even have loading bars

15. Collapse Details

Like NES and SNES consoles had ancient SSD on the games didn't have loading screens.

16. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    right and now my common and current games don't have loading screens either, the circle is complete

17. Collapse Details

Thanks for clearing that, is really neccesary?
    if you're using something that hits the disk all the time then it will be much faster. optimally a sata 3 drive has a transfer rate of 6Gb/s vs more like 10Gb/s for 1Ghz DDR3 and the seek speed is faster too even compared to an SSD

18. Collapse Details

Thanks, maybe when I get SSD, I remember maks told me SSD fucking sucks.
    I told you they're small and expensive and break more often than hard drives, all of those things are true

19. Collapse Details

I told you they're small and expensive and break more often than hard drives, all of those things are true
    Is true SSD has shorter life than hard drive?

20. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    in 2009

21. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    in 2009

22. Collapse Details

Maybe you mean SSD is not 2009 when it's using RAMDisk

23. Collapse Details

it depends
    SSDs have a finite lifespan and HDDs have a random lifespan. HDDs could die of mechanical failure at any time, SSDs can't die of mechanical failure since they have no moving parts, but there is only so many times you can write to the disk

24. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Camoron View Post
    it depends
    SSDs have a finite lifespan and HDDs have a random lifespan. HDDs could die of mechanical failure at any time, SSDs can't die of mechanical failure since they have no moving parts, but there is only so many times you can write to the disk
    It makes sense, SSD is semiconductor.

25. Collapse Details

depends on how often you hit them, specifically how often you write to them. I wouldn't put my pagefile there, not unless I had a whole fuckton of ram

26. Collapse Details

Yeah, it's stupid to have a powerful pc to run second life

27. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by steveyos View Post
    in 2009
    no they still cost 2-3x as much as a hard drive for the same amount of storage and still have a finate amount of writes which leads to bad sectors piling up which leads to data corruption. In a production environment I'd recommend replacing them every 2 years, I give consumer level hdd's 3 years and enterprise hdds 4-5

28. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    no they still cost 2-3x as much as a hard drive for the same amount of storage and still have a finate amount of writes which leads to bad sectors piling up which leads to data corruption. In a production environment I'd recommend replacing them every 2 years, I give consumer level hdd's 3 years and enterprise hdds 4-5
    well see, I don't use my computer like everyone else, I barely touch mine so I'm fine with everyting literally loading instantly and with the amount I use it I won't have to replace it for ten years

over 100 terrorbytes written to the non-pro version of my drive so far and still going http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/51...end/index.html

29. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    I'll never go anywhere near that so mine should last forever, hooray instant loading

30. Collapse Details

steveyos
    king steveyos
    second life on ssd

second life cache on ramdisk

windows 8

fuck what you heard I"m living it, it's great, it's amazing it's as good as it gets abandon your influences and upgrade today

Thread Information